Dual printing set up Saturday (thanks Scott D )

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
Ronnien55

Dual printing set up Saturday (thanks Scott D )

Post by Ronnien55 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:12 pm

Well been just trying to get layers right and get the extruders to start when it is their time. Anyone have a good setup for shortening the delay between the switching of extruders and beginning printing? I am seeing separation between colors due to the extruder starting too late.

jsc

Re: Dual printing set up Saturday (thanks Scott D )

Post by jsc » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:01 am

I'm not sure I understand your question.

Dual extrusion is hard, because the non-printing extruder is constantly oozing and laying down unwanted dribbles. The only usable solutions I have found so far is, 1. Only use the second extruder for dissolvable filament, so that it doesn't matter that it's oozing because it's all going to go away anyway, or 2. Use Cura and enable its "wipe tower" and "ooze shield" dual extrusion features.

Ronnien55

Post by Ronnien55 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:28 am

jsc wrote:I'm not sure I understand your question.

Dual extrusion is hard, because the non-printing extruder is constantly oozing and laying down unwanted dribbles. The only usable solutions I have found so far is, 1. Only use the second extruder for dissolvable filament, so that it doesn't matter that it's oozing because it's all going to go away anyway, or 2. Use Cura and enable its "wipe tower" and "ooze shield" dual extrusion features.
I am not having any oozing issues. My extruder 0 (Left Extruder) is not placing material the first .5 to 1 inch of travel when it is called to print.

Ronnien55

Post by Ronnien55 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:43 am

Extruder 1 is working fine, however extruder 0 is not extruding when it should. I have attached a picture.
Attachments
Dual printing issue.png
As you can see it skips a space before it starts to extrude.
Dual printing issue.png (954.83 KiB) Viewed 15365 times

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:56 am

Whoop! I may know what's causing that....we ran into the same thing when we tried to switch out colors. Make sure you are zero-ing out the extruder (whichever one it is) with the code below:
G92 E0 ; zero extruder

Reading this thread will describe the problem we ran into, and how we finally got around it. I'm not sure where you'd need to put it, for a dual extruder, but maybe it can get you started.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2132

For a single extruder it's a code that shows up at the beginning of every layer, maybe you're missing one in your code somewhere.

Ronnien55

Post by Ronnien55 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:43 am

Jules wrote:Whoop! I may know what's causing that....we ran into the same thing when we tried to switch out colors. Make sure you are zero-ing out the extruder (whichever one it is) with the code below:
G92 E0 ; zero extruder

Reading this thread will describe the problem we ran into, and how we finally got around it. I'm not sure where you'd need to put it, for a dual extruder, but maybe it can get you started.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2132
For a single extruder it's a code that shows up at the beginning of every layer, maybe you're missing one in your code somewhere.
I found the fix on the WIKI site for the Dual Extruder Setup:
Put it in the Tooling Change Script (Thanks Scott)
T[old_tool] ; switches to old tool
G92 E0 ; zeroes old tool
G1 F2400 E-6 ; retracts 6mm at 2400mm/min
G92 E0 ; zeroes old tool again
T[new_tool] ; switches to new tool
G92 E0 ; zeroes new tool to be official/careful
G1 F2400 E6 ; extrudes 6mm at 2400mm/min to recover from the previous manual retract
G92 E0 ; zeroes new tool one last time, then carries on with S3D standard commands
Turned off Retract in Simply3D for both Extruders and used the Tooling Change Script to run the retract.

Turned off

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:15 am

Super! :D

Ronnien55

Post by Ronnien55 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:30 am

Well i think i have my settings, no problem so far with oozing, did have layer adhesion issue between colors. By turning off retract settings in S3D and adding above code to tool change you can see in the photo, the left is with S3D retract on and the right is with it turned off and using the tool change script to controll.
Attachments
Snip20150608_5.png
Snip20150608_5.png (1.18 MiB) Viewed 15338 times

PcS

Post by PcS » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:57 am

Nice !!!

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:28 pm

PcS wrote:Nice !!!
Ditto! That looks great! :D