Dual Material prints with new Simplify3D v3.. anybody?

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
hybridprinter

Dual Material prints with new Simplify3D v3.. anybody?

Post by hybridprinter » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:13 pm

Just wondering if anybody has done any dual material prints, preferably rigid + flexibles using the new S3D v3 software? results better than Cura?

insta

Re: Dual Material prints with new Simplify3D v3.. anybody?

Post by insta » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:44 pm

I used it for a PLA + PVA print (PVA is almost as flexible as NinjaFlex, annoyingly enough). It was a lot easier to set up, and finally has the toolhead offset stuff built in. Since V3 I have no reason to use Cura or slic3r anymore. I still use slic3r for generating my quotes, but not the actual toolpaths.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

LazMech

Post by LazMech » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:53 am

I've done one dual print with S3D V3 but both nozzles were PLA. Never used Cura. The process settings for S3D V3 are much better, haven't been forced to use someone elses process files yet. The Ooze Shield wasn't perfect but I could tell that my print would have been a disaster without it; so basically the Ooze Shield allows me to do Dual prints without creating a wiper assembly and without having to add script for wiping. Overall I am very happy with the improvements.

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:32 am

insta wrote:I used it for a PLA + PVA print (PVA is almost as flexible as NinjaFlex, annoyingly enough)
I also did a PLA + PVA print, which is pictured in some post I made. I used OpenSCAD to make an inverted volume of the original object, so the PVA was wrapped tightly around the PLA. The only problem was that the PLA, which was the eSUN wood filament, is so stringy that it would ooze out a significant amount of the stuff while the PVA was printing, leaving the actual object much too sparse and therefore weak and brittle. I will need to try that again with some less drippy material. The PVA, though, in spite of being quite flexible, was very easy to print, had virtually no oozing, and was, quite frankly, one of the easiest filaments I've ever printed with. I had the PVA on my all-metal V4, the wood filament on the PTFE-lined V4. I sliced it with S3D v3.0. I did not slow down the print speed for the PVA.

With the PVA being printed directly against the PLA, there wasn't any need for an ooze shield, as the PVA acted as its own ooze shield.

I have not used Cura, so I cannot vouch for whether it's better or not, but I was certainly happy with the S3D results.

I want to try some print with multiple moving parts separated by a single layer of PVA, like a fully formed gear box or something. I think it should work really well. Otherwise, PVA, no matter how easily it prints, will eventually absorb enough water to turn into a gooey mess, so I can't think of any applications for it other than support material.

sprior

Post by sprior » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:33 pm

I did a relatively small PLA/PLA print - a keychain ruler in black with white lines. I find it annoying that S3D is guided toward the right extruder being the primary as that's not the mentality of the M2. The other thing I noticed was that the ooze shield was printed AT THE END of layer 1 which was after the secondary extruder had a chance to ooze onto the model.

jsc

Post by jsc » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:38 pm

Re: ooze shield, that seems like an easy enough fix. You should complain on the S3D forum, though, as otherwise nobody will notice. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

sprior

Post by sprior » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:02 pm

I sent an email to support, but didn't hear anything back. I'll try to remember to post to their forum.

PcS

Post by PcS » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:31 pm

I have seen people use the skirt for priming each nozzle. Make it as tall as completed print and if color changes start at layer change it is usefull.

sprior

Post by sprior » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:00 pm

The new ooze shield and prime tower features are supposed to replace the need for the skirt workaround.

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:37 pm

I was forced into a pretty complicated workaround to get S3D to accept the left extruder as "primary" and to force it to retract the secondary extruder first before starting printing with the primary. I submitted an email to S3D support and got an "ok, thanks" response back; we'll see if the correction shows up in version 3.0.1.