Adding auto leveling or tramming gcode to dual extruder

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
Ronnien55

Adding auto leveling or tramming gcode to dual extruder

Post by Ronnien55 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:02 pm

Does anyone know what lines have to be added to the lines of code need to be added to the Marlin code for the M2 dual extruder. I know that i must add the auto bed leveling feature under mechanical, however there are several different ways and lies of code. I am currently adding a proximity switch to my M2 just need to make sure i have the firmware right.

insta

Re: Adding auto leveling or tramming gcode to dual extruder

Post by insta » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:54 pm

Dual extrusion and auto-bed tramming are mutually incompatible, unfortunately. Some types of bed levelling are (where the levelling screws are automatically adjusted), but not the kind with the sense probe.

Sorry :?
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:54 pm

Sorry I'm punting on your question, because I've installed a Smoothieboard controller on my M2 and no longer use the Marlin code. Once I get my own z-probe installed, I can probably answer that question better, but it may be a week or more before that happens.

But---you seem to be the first person to add a z-probe to the dual extruder. Where did you put it?

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:00 pm

insta wrote:Dual extrusion and auto-bed tramming are mutually incompatible, unfortunately.
I wouldn't necessarily say that. You have to be fairly well-leveled to begin with, because if your bed is too far out of level or your two extruders are out of level with each other, then one or the other of them is going to plow into the print surface while the other one is extruding. Otherwise, there's no reason why you can't do it.

Also, you shouldn't dismiss the fact that most people with dual extruders use only a single extruder most of the time, with the 2nd extruder pulled up a bit to keep it out of the way, and there's absolutely no reason you shouldn't be able to use a z-probe with that setup.

The main problem with the dual extruders is that they're large and it's not easy to find a good place to put the z-probe.

PcS

Post by PcS » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:01 pm

If you look at the beta z probe thread the marlin code I attached will work for you. The only issue I see is which extruder to use for your offset. Although on the m2 one is left and one it right I personally feel if you used the dimension directly between the two it would get you close enough.Or add different offsets for the left and right maybe? I don't have a dual setup or I would test it.

PcS

Post by PcS » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:06 pm

Tim the z probe could be put anywhere you want or have room. Then you measure the offset and plug that in and you should be good . You may not be able to probe all your bed edges but it really does not matter. With your probe grid size set and bed dimensions in the code it can calculate the flat plane.

Ronnien55

Post by Ronnien55 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:38 pm

Tim wrote:Sorry I'm punting on your question, because I've installed a Smoothieboard controller on my M2 and no longer use the Marlin code. Once I get my own z-probe installed, I can probably answer that question better, but it may be a week or more before that happens.

But---you seem to be the first person to add a z-probe to the dual extruder. Where did you put it?
Just need the code to be right.
Attachments
Snip20150806_1.png
here is where
Snip20150806_1.png (362.61 KiB) Viewed 17133 times

Ronnien55

Post by Ronnien55 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:38 pm

PcS wrote:If you look at the beta z probe thread the marlin code I attached will work for you. The only issue I see is which extruder to use for your offset. Although on the m2 one is left and one it right I personally feel if you used the dimension directly between the two it would get you close enough.Or add different offsets for the left and right maybe? I don't have a dual setup or I would test it.
Did not see the attachment

PcS

Post by PcS » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:34 pm

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2547&start=40

Halfway down the page.

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:43 pm

here is where
That's where I was going to put it, but then you haven't attempted to put the fan back on, which will require a substantial redesign of the fan duct (or not so substantial---I came up with something quick where I just imported the fan duct STL into openSCAD and cut a bore through it. Haven't tested it yet to see if it clears everything).

Let me know if there are any heat transfer issues with that setup.