Micron 3DP Cobra Dual Extruder with the Makergear M2

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
innkeeper

Re: Micron 3DP Cobra Dual Extruder with the Makergear M2

Post by innkeeper » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:02 pm

Tim, sounds like we have very similar setups...

the extruder stepper thing seems to be a known issue on older machines... my total guess is it was a bad run of steppers where they had bad metal pinions. - all the same when I replaced the stepper I got kysan's new version of it for good measure (same stepper made by a different manufacturer for kysan and a different model number, same spec though) - trying to replace the bad pinion on the original stepper was a total fail for me. (re-lubricating the gear boxes is in my opinion a necessary regular maintenance item)

my zprobe z-enstop combination (yes it functions as both) is currently an IR optical solution not inductive. I was designing my own IR probe solution, but got someone elses solution to work so stopped working on that for now... other priorities took precedence. ... i'll get back to that someday. Also running a GLCD which i use the heck out of.

I already have a dual extruder on a different machine, so I still use that when I have most dual extruder needs. I find though that I don't use the dual extruder feature often as it is really intended. Although i did when I first got it, then the novelty wore off ... what I found is the second extruder will sometimes drag on the print and if heated for doing dual color prints it leak onto the print leaving streaks ... more often then not I just use it to conveniently have two different colors or material types loaded. Which is a time saver in itself.

since I can easily swap filament with the smoothieware with the touch of a button on the Graphic LCD panel, or via console, or via gcode. I can just do that for things like different colors for raised lettering, as there normally the top layers anyway.. So, I've been able to get around many times I could have used dual extruder on the m2.

I never used a dual extruder for special infill material. just haven't had the need yet.

the v4 extruders must be nice though.
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:14 pm

sthone wrote: I did a Write Up on the all metal extruder from Micron when I was installing it but overall I wouldn't recommend it because I haven't had much luck running anything but PLA through it.
oh wow...nice write-up... I really should repost my approach to mounting it. it was totally different (edited and posted a pic) ... admittedly my approach required machining which most people cant do, but made it a lot easier to mount.

Edit....pic added... aside from the obvious milling I drilled and tapped an m4 hole to for a shortened standard mount plate. this allowed me to use the original plate mount holes on that side to mount to the m2's rail, shimming the hole with a plastic printed sleave (not shown), and using m3 screws to mount.... so it mounts directly, no adapter. fans mount to the existing m3 screw holes on the side using standoffs. I tried to take a pic at an angle that showed all the modifications
IMG_0515-800.jpg
IMG_0515-800.jpg (160 KiB) Viewed 6948 times
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

I-Right-I

Post by I-Right-I » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:15 am

Some time has passed now, since my new Micron 3DP 'all metal' dual upgrade. I have to say, I'm still pleased with its performance. I've successfully printed with ninjaflex, carbon fiber, polycarbonate, you name it. I think that fascinates me the most is the precision; I feel that's why most people have issues with it... you have to find that perfect combination of temp/speed/current/cooling/bed level/etc... to unlock its potential, and I think many don't have the patience for all that. I'm ready to make some more updates to this M2! I feel like it wouldn't be all that difficult to make the print area much larger! A little cutting, cnc some extended pieces, scoop up some longer tracks, and you'd be in business. Anybody else have any useful updates they are pleased with?

Tim

Post by Tim » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:42 pm

I-Right-I wrote:you have to find that perfect combination of temp/speed/current/cooling/bed level/etc... to unlock its potential, and I think many don't have the patience for all that.
I certainly don't have the patience for that!
Anybody else have any useful updates they are pleased with?
I'm happy with all my updates. Most are pretty marginal improvements, mainly because the M2 is already so well designed.

Just be aware that if you're thinking of extending either axis beyond its current limits, you will be practically building a new machine. I looked into that briefly when I found that my twin extruder design was running out of space on the X-axis. Eventually I decided to put up with a small loss of build area. Quite a large amount of cost in the M2 is in the linear rails. Those linear rails don't come cheap, although MakerGear probably gets a better deal buying them in high volume.