Easy questions.....

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
Jules

Easy questions.....

Post by Jules » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:08 am

Okay, got a couple of easy questions for those of you who been there, done that......

I'm about to flash the firmware on a dual, but I've never done that before. I can follow the instructions on the Wiki, but i want to be able to take it back to the original firmware if I need to. (I'm not sure that what i had to do to get the filament drives to fit is going to work long term.)

Unfortunately, if it does not work out, I won't be able to print the modified replacement parts (if i need them) on the dual, so I'll need to take it back. Hence the need to regress.

So, first question....that is possible right? I'm not going to flash this unless it can be reversed. :roll:

Second question, does anyone know which one of these versions of the 24volt power supply models is the correct one to use with the V4? (I started out with a V3B, but upgraded to V4.)

24r1 has a 24V power supply, matching HBP and a V3B cartridge heater hotend. The cartridge heater in 24r1 has a resistance of ~3.6 Ohm. Stock PID settings work fine. Firmware for this revision is M2Marlin24r1.zip.

24r2 is the same as 24r1, except that it has a 24V/40W cartridge heater with a resistance of ~14.4 Ohm. Default PID settings have been changed to P25.89 I1.94 D86.53, and has had the PID_MAX setting moved up to 255. Firmware for this revision is M2Marlin24r2.zip .

Sooooo.....the second one?

Thanks guys! :D

Tim

Re: Easy questions.....

Post by Tim » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:52 am

So. . .

Question 1) Yes, you can always flash back to the original. I've got a Linux system, so I was using the command-line "avrdude" to read/write to the Atmel chip from the computer. I'm not sure how you're doing it, but there should be a way to read the existing contents of the chip into a .hex file that you can then write back later and be certain that you have restored your system exactly the way it was before.

I went from a 12V/19V system to a 24V system at the same time as I went to the dual extruder. Reverting back to the original would have been a royal pain, so fortunately I never had to do that. I doubt you will need to revert back, either. If you are paranoid enough to make sure that you have a backup plan, then you're probably careful enough not to need it.

Question 2) I thought it didn't matter what the voltage is as far as the firmware is concerned; the power MOSFETs on the RAMBo can work from 12V to 24V, and the only thing that really differentiates one from another is the PID setting. The firmware I used for the dual while I had the RAMBo has the P=25.89, I=1.94, D=86.53 values, but you should run PID auto-tune and figure out the best values for your specific machine. I started with the stock PID values and they were basically okay.

But where did you find those zip files for the firmware? I got the firmware for the M2 from makergear.wikidot.com/dual. Under "Firmware", there's a link to "M2_Dual_Extruder_Marlin.zip", which is what I used.

The real trick in using the dual extruder is getting around the problems in Simplify3D (assuming that you intend to use both extruders on the same print). In brief, Simplify3D does a lot of things wrong. I had to write my own start script, tool change script, and end script to get it to work right, and disable everything having to do with tool changes in the S3D GUI. Even the part that does work right is very cumbersome. Hmm, the more I write down, the more I realize it's time for me to write a "How-to" guide on dual extrusion. I've done it successfully enough times now to think that I might be considered an authority on the subject.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:15 am

Hell, yeah! I think that is a spectacular idea, and one that i was about to hit you and Jin up for.
How about you guys walk me through this? We can compile it all into a Dual Starter Guide that other beginners can use. :D

The zip files for the firmware are what I think are my backup.....the ones for the original V3b and V4 single.....(I got the dual at your link, but I didn't want to use it until I determined which one of those two was correct for the single.)

I have no idea what a PID auto-tune is, how to run one, or what it is used for - maybe that would be a good place to start....please? :)

swbluto

Post by swbluto » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:39 am

Tim wrote:The real trick in using the dual extruder is getting around the problems in Simplify3D (assuming that you intend to use both extruders on the same print). In brief, Simplify3D does a lot of things wrong. I had to write my own start script, tool change script, and end script to get it to work right, and disable everything having to do with tool changes in the S3D GUI. Even the part that does work right is very cumbersome. Hmm, the more I write down, the more I realize it's time for me to write a "How-to" guide on dual extrusion. I've done it successfully enough times now to think that I might be considered an authority on the subject.
I'm all in support! Got a dual extruder and don't know how to use it at all except in Cura. Seems like it'd be a fun thing to experiment with one of these days, if I only knew how...

Tim

Post by Tim » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:54 am

Jules wrote:Hell, yeah! I think that is a spectacular idea, and one that i was about to hit you and Jin up for.
How about you guys walk me through this? We can compile it all into a Dual Starter Guide that other beginners can use.
These and other questions, they will all be answered, but not tonight because it's late.
The zip files for the firmware are what I think are my backup.....the ones for the original V3b and V4 single.
Yes, but there's no backup quite as good as reading your actual current profile off of the Atmel chip on your M2 and storing it back into a hex file on your computer. Then there are no gotchas like a value that was changed, or a code update, or anything unexpected. It's a true backup copy of your system. But then the things I do are often at a whole 'nother level of paranoia (in spite of that care around electronics, though, I managed to blow up an electrolytic capacitor the other day by forgetting that some of the power sockets on the Smoothieboard are, unwisely, wired backwards from the others. I gave the capacitor a full negative 24V and it went off like a firecracker, blowing the shell of the capacitor clear across the room).

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:21 am

Tim wrote:These and other questions, they will all be answered, but not tonight because it's late.
Perfect because I would also like to hit the hay before the wee morning hours, for once.
Yes, but there's no backup quite as good as reading your actual current profile off of the Atmel chip on your M2 and storing it back into a hex file on your computer.
This is rather Greek-ish to me. :roll:
But then the things I do are often at a whole 'nother level of paranoia (in spite of that care around electronics, though, I managed to blow up an electrolytic capacitor the other day by forgetting that some of the power sockets on the Smoothieboard are, unwisely, wired backwards from the others. I gave the capacitor a full negative 24V and it went off like a firecracker, blowing the shell of the capacitor clear across the room).
And.....i would rather not do that! :shock:

jsc

Post by jsc » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:12 am

Tim is going super geek on you, and there's really no need. You probably have r2. You can verify by checking the text that gets spewed out when you start up the printer and looking for the PID settings. They should correspond to the default PID settings for r2.

PID is a common control algorithm often used to maintain temperature. It relies on three parameters labeled, oddly enough, P, I, and D, which need to be tuned for the particular system being controlled. An autotune attempts to give you some appropriate values by measuring how the system reacts under certain conditions. It is only necessary if you feel the default settings aren't giving you good temperature control. Here's how you run one: http://reprap.org/wiki/PID_Tuning. Instead of 200, use whatever temperature you normally like to print at as a target temperature (but not too high, as the autotune will overshoot the temperature you set as the target as part of the tuning process). Remember to save the results with M500.

If your system is tuned well, you should see a small overshoot on first heat rapidly setting down to your target temperature with minimum oscillations.

You can read more about the details of the PID algorithm on Wikipedia and elsewhere, but the short version is:
P(roportional): how far from the target value are we? The farther off, the more power we give (or remove) to try to get on track.
I(ntegrative): how long have we been off target? The longer it's been, the more power we give or take.
D(erivative): how fast are we coming up on the target? The faster we're approaching, the less power we give or take.

P is pretty intuitive. I is for when you're consistently running a little low or high and P isn't giving you enough change to fix that little error. D works to reduce overshoot, so that if you're screaming up to the target value you take it a little easier, and if it's rapidly going the wrong way you nudge it a little harder back in line.

You shouldn't have to know any of this unless you want to tweak your values manually. The autotune works pretty well.

Cura's dual extrusion support is pretty good.

S3D's is getting better, but as Tim said, it still does a lot of boneheaded things that it's annoying to have to workaround. If you're just going to use the second extruder for support, the situation's a lot better.

An example of an ideal startup sequence, assuming you're going to start printing with the left:
purge right, retract a ton, purge left, begin print

An example of a tool change sequence, switching from left to right:
retract left a ton, extrude right a ton to bring it back to zero, squirt on the priming tower, go back to printing

Actually getting that simple sequence to happen in the correct order in S3D is what is annoying. It's been a while since I've tried it, but from what I recall, it's fine after the first layer, but if you just flip all the switches on and tell it to go, it will leave the non-printing extruder primed while doing the first layer.

Some links:
Here's a startup script: viewtopic.php?t=2261&p=12129#p12129
My early investigation into stupid S3D tool switching (may be fixed in recent versions): viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1431
The last I heard from Tim on his investigations: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2406#p13418 (also see page 2).
My version of the latest released Marlin configured to support M2 with dual v4s: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2708 (use the Download ZIP button).

If Tim does grace us with a data dump of his current procedures, I would just adopt that wholesale as he's looked into it more than I have.
Last edited by jsc on Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

swbluto

Post by swbluto » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:28 am

jsc wrote:Tim is going super geek on you, and there's really no need.
Sounded like plain english to me. But, then again, I program atmels as a side hobby, lol.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:05 pm

jsc wrote:Tim is going super geek on you, and there's really no need. You probably have r2. You can verify by checking the text that gets spewed out when you start up the printer and looking for the PID settings. They should correspond to the default PID settings for r2.
Ahhhh, thanks! That is what i needed to know to proceed with my personal setup. :D
PID is a common control algorithm often used to maintain temperature. It relies on three parameters labeled, oddly enough, P, I, and D, which need to be tuned for the particular system being controlled. An autotune attempts to give you some appropriate values by measuring how the system reacts under certain conditions. It is only necessary if you feel the default settings aren't giving you good temperature control. Here's how you run one: http://reprap.org/wiki/PID_Tuning. Instead of 200, use whatever temperature you normally like to print at as a target temperature (but not too high, as the autotune will overshoot the temperature you set as the target as part of the tuning process). Remember to save the results with M500.

If your system is tuned well, you should see a small overshoot on first heat rapidly setting down to your target temperature with minimum oscillations.

You can read more about the details of the PID algorithm on Wikipedia and elsewhere, but the short version is:
P(roportional): how far from the target value are we? The farther off, the more power we give (or remove) to try to get on track.
I(ntegrative): how long have we been off target? The longer it's been, the more power we give or take.
D(erivative): how fast are we coming up on the target? The faster we're approaching, the less power we give or take.

P is pretty intuitive. I is for when you're consistently running a little low or high and P isn't giving you enough change to fix that little error. D works to reduce overshoot, so that if you're screaming up to the target value you take it a little easier, and if it's rapidly going the wrong way you nudge it a little harder back in line.

You shouldn't have to know any of this unless you want to tweak your values manually. The autotune works pretty well.
Also ,what i needed to know, and a good explanation of it. But probably not something that a beginner with the dual is going to need to mess with. I'm perfectly serious about putting together a starting guide, similar to the one that i cobbled together from all of you guys' How To's and Suggestions for the single machine. (I have been asked to compile one for the dual. :shock: ) But there hasn't been as much written up on the dual. I can puzzle it out myself over the next several months, but that is an unnecessary delay, and a terrible waste of time - you boys already know what you are doing. It looked to me like you and Tim had gotten the farthest along with testing and using this thing, and probably a few others as well, but I've only read through the contents of the Dual Extruder thread once.

There were several places where you guys were proposing starting sequences and methods, I guess what i need to do is ask whether you are still using those, or if you have dumped them by now in favor of something that works better?

How would you guys feel about writing up some brief "How-To" guides for specific bits of the puzzle that you feel very comfortable with? We can link to those in the general guide like we did with the first one. i would prefer to link to actual How-To's , so that you guys can get the cred for it, instead of having to comb through the bits of wisdom that show up in response to various questions across the forum and then paraphrase them to get them into one place.

1. I know that there is a certain amount of G-Code knowledge involved - I'd like to make it easier for someone to use who doesn't have that knowledge base. (A little more detailed than the Wiki - which assumes that everyone is going to understand the specific steps on how to compile something and get it loaded into the firmware before flashing it. Or if it's even necessary to flash it into the firmware - is it better to just load it in through S3D scripts somewhere?)
Cura's dual extrusion support is pretty good.
2. If you understand Cura - a little Quick Use guide for certain specific issues would be fantastic if you have time to knock one up.
Something along the lines of: If you want to create a wipe tower, do this. If you want to use the second extruder for support only, do this. If you want to print with 2 colors, do this. etc. etc.etc. Anything you feel is important.
S3D's is getting better, but as Tim said, it still does a lot of boneheaded things that it's annoying to have to workaround. If you're just going to use the second extruder for support, the situation's a lot better.
If Tim does grace us with a data dump of his current procedures, I would just adopt that wholesale as he's looked into it more than I have.
3. Oh yes, I plan to. I'd like to have one for each method below, for both Cura and S3D. (One might be better for a certain process than the other.)

Processes:
a. Using 1 extruder for support and the other for finished print.
b. Using the two extruders for different colors - same filament. How does one create the separated parts of the design in order to make the slicer treat the parts correctly? Is it necessary to do anything special, or do you just design it that way to start with? Doing it by layers is easy enough to figure out, but do you have any alignment problems if you have separate parts on the same layer? Color bleed problems? (That kind of thing.)
c. Using different nozzle sizes for speedy infill.
d. And the easiest thing, which is how i will probably start - using two different filaments in each nozzle, to avoid having to change out filament. (Well maybe i'll wait on that and do the two colors. I'd prefer to get things set up with PLA.)
e. Any others?

And then the problems:
a. Oozing issues. 16mm retraction for the un-used nozzle? Lower temps while inactive? Adds too much time to the process? Wipe towers? Dribbling off to the sides? Shields? You guys know a lot of sh*t, but it's scattered all over the place and it takes days to find it.
b. Alignment issues? Color Bleed?
c. Keeping the inactive nozzle from knocking the print?
d. Fine-tuning tips?

Anyway that's the idea for the guide. It's going to be a heck of a lot harder to put this one together, because like you said - it's harder by about a factor of ten. But eventually MG is going to want to release the dual more broadly, to people who don't have your level of experience. So input from the early adopters is needed, and we need to make it a bit more....basic. We don't need to make everybody experts with it, we just need to get them started, like we did with the other guide.
An example of an ideal startup sequence, assuming you're going to start printing with the left:
purge right, retract a ton, purge left, begin print

An example of a tool change sequence, switching from left to right:
retract left a ton, extrude right a ton to bring it back to zero, squirt on the priming tower, go back to printing
I can write these up if they are still good. If you've got suggestions to make them better, that's what i'm looking for.
Some links:
Here's a startup script: viewtopic.php?t=2261&p=12129#p12129
My early investigation into stupid S3D tool switching (may be fixed in recent versions): viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1431
The last I heard from Tim on his investigations: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2406#p13418 (also see page 2).
My version of the latest released Marlin configured to support M2 with dual v4s: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2708 (use the Download ZIP button).
Soon as i find out if these are the latest and greatest.....do you feel happy enough with your Marlin M2 configuration to have beginners start with it?

None of this is going to happen immediately, so no need to jump on it right away. I was just hoping to enlist some help with this thing. You boys are the experts. :D

Tim

Post by Tim » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:57 pm

jsc wrote:Tim is going super geek on you
It's what I do best.

Thanks for bringing the conversation down to earth.