Uh Huh!

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
Jules

Uh Huh!

Post by Jules » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:24 am

Okay finished the little vase, and I'll post some pics at the end - I'm actually pretty pleased with the way it turned out. Biggest thing I have to remember is to keep ungrouping processes and models if I have to make individual changes to one part, but I'll get used to that. (It does take a heck of a lot longer to set up one of these things.)

Second biggest thing is that if you use a shield on it, attach a hefty brim to the shield. They tend to pop off about halfway into your fifth layer otherwise. :lol:

If the shield is too far away from the object, (as it tends to be for a twisting vase that's narrower at the bottom than the top), it has limited effectiveness and i got a few dribbles on the print at one point, but the shield is pretty effective:
Early Dribbles.jpg
Early Dribbles.jpg (252.81 KiB) Viewed 12256 times
'Bout halfway through, lots of oozes caught:
Halfway Point.jpg
Halfway Point.jpg (258.69 KiB) Viewed 12256 times
Mount Vesuvius:
Volcano.jpg
Done!
Volcano.jpg (288.52 KiB) Viewed 12256 times
And the unveiling....only problem was the shield got a little to close to the print on one edge and stuck a few fibers to the print. They pulled right off though, so it worked pretty well.
Unveiled Result.jpg
Looks a lot better inside. :)
Unveiled Result.jpg (325.31 KiB) Viewed 12256 times
Overall, not too shabby for the "mostly default" S3D settings with a little fine tuning. :D
(Thought folks thinking of getting a dual might want to see a bit of the process in pictures.)

Tim

Re: Uh Huh!

Post by Tim » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:31 am

Now my turn to say "great job"!

I noticed that you didn't enable a priming tower. I haven't done that either. I couldn't see the point in it, especially with the ooze shield. Maybe it's meant to be an either/or thing?

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:08 am

Tim wrote:Now my turn to say "great job"!

I noticed that you didn't enable a priming tower. I haven't done that either. I couldn't see the point in it, especially with the ooze shield. Maybe it's meant to be an either/or thing?
Thanks! :) It still needs a lot of adjustments for the individual filaments to tighten it up, but I thought it worked okay for the default 1.75mm diameter and 0.90 extrusion multiplier. And I'll probably try a tower soon - I just didn't think to do one at the same time as the shield either. (Maybe i'll just do the tower and no shield to see if it works as well.)

But I'm picking a different print - that one at 50% scale took about 6 hours. :shock:

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:54 am

thats great jules. i have a dual printer actually just sitting in a corner that i have never used the dual function on. i just havent had the ambition to try and teach my self all that. one of these days i guess. need to get it running on a pi first since i am out of room near any of my computers.

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:11 am

jimc wrote:thats great jules. i have a dual printer actually just sitting in a corner that i have never used the dual function on. i just havent had the ambition to try and teach my self all that. one of these days i guess. need to get it running on a pi first since i am out of room near any of my computers.
With your artistic bent you aren't using it yet? Dude!....that's a crime.
(Think of the cool two-tone wood finish speakers!) 8-)

(Yeah, okay, your paint jobs are better than that anyway. But still......) :lol:

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:14 am

haha yeah i would almost rather paint my stuff. i would find more use from the dual just for support i think but i dont know of a support material for petg.

jsc

Post by jsc » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:29 am

HIPS works for PETG.

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:31 am

huh, did not know that. thought its was for abs only. thanks

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:33 am

Me either! :)

(Hey, you know jim...it occurs to me that you would be a fine candidate to put together a little "How To" on "Fabulous Finishing Techniques".....just floatin' that idea out there......) :D

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:41 am

hmmm yeah i could do that. a bit busy right now though. when we get into the holiday season a little more i will write one up. good idea