right extruder retracts instead and vice versa

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
chuck

right extruder retracts instead and vice versa

Post by chuck » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:48 pm

Help! just testing my right extruder, and seems mechanically all in order, except it retracts when i tell it to extrude, and vice versa! it happens both on S3D and octoprint, so i suspect it is is either hardware or firmware at fault. the motor plus are all in the same orientation in the RamBo so i really don't know what to look at.

anyone else with the same problem?

Levi8than

Re: right extruder retracts instead and vice versa

Post by Levi8than » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:04 am

Firmware. Well, probably firmware. If you plug the wire into the rambo or the motor backwards, it should have the same effect.

In Configuration.h:

Code: Select all

#define INVERT_E0_DIR false
#define INVERT_E1_DIR true
By default if you build your own, INVERT_E1_DIR is set to false.
That's not right for this printer.

jsc

Post by jsc » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:30 am

You can muck with the firmware, but if you haven't messed with it, it's probably the wiring. You can reverse a four wire servo by just flipping the whole plug around if possible. Check the wires going to E1: http://makergear.wikidot.com/m2-electronics

FYI, you can reverse a four wire stepper motor by swapping the wires on ONE of the pairs, or swapping the pairs without changing their orientation. Flipping the plug swaps both pairs AND their orientation, effectively reversing things three times.

Tim

Post by Tim » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:52 pm

Yes, definitely you just want to turn the 4-pin plug around. They're designed to be reversible.

Note that the filament guide on the right extruder is reversed relative to the left extruder. So the right extruder will always turn in the opposite direction of the left extruder, meaning that the 4-pin plug to E1 must be reversed relative to the plug for E0.

chuck

Post by chuck » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:38 pm

yep! that was it. thanks. might be an idea to make this a little more explicit in the assembly instructions, just for future customers.

Cheers boh! also thanks to surile who helped me on IRC

Chuck