Dual Ready?

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
Q*bert

Re: Dual Ready?

Post by Q*bert » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:32 pm

insta wrote:Firmware permutations are currently quite a sticky thing and perhaps the biggest issue I see impacting upgrade releases to the masses. I'd really like to see MakerGear tracking maybe a month behind Marlin's main branch with permutations for all the factory-released upgrades. MakerGear should be on the hook for V3b vs V4 (PID settings), autolevelling vs. not, Viki1, Viki2, duals, and every combination therein. Yes, it's a big task. It will take Josh a solid day once a month to do the updates and test flashes.
Well said insta!!! I just bought my second M2 and this is my only significant complaint, but it's a pretty big one!

Better, current documentation and firmware, combined with better marketing including a modern and updated website, would make the choice between the M2 and other machines clear to those who don't already own an M2. Just look at the Lulzbot website to see how it can be done. For the TAZ 5 they claim many things as unique to that machine while the M2 can do the same or better. But you'd never know that from the MakerGear website. I've had to explain that to people considering both machines. I know MakerGear is losing sales just due to presentation. The M2 is a truly great machine - sell it that way!

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:47 pm

I would have to agree with q*berts points.

It sounds silly but part of me is almost surprised when I keep seeing the M2 winning lots of "best of" categories for printer shoot-outs. This isn't because I don't think its a great printer, I think its fantastic and I recently purchased my second M2. However, with the relatively small group of guys here on the forum, and the seemingly dated website, combined with the fact that few people I talk to about printers have heard much about Makergear, it has a feeling of being less of a world class machine and more of a grassroots cult following.

While there is a steady trickle of upgrades coming out for the M2, there hasnt been a major product release in at least a year or two which I would think might take Makergear off someones radar simply because the equipment "must be outdated" if it has been available for a long period of time.

billc

Post by billc » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:56 am

I'm a real newbe. Just received my M2 about two weeks ago. It's a fine machine and I'm enjoying it. It was easy to set up and has been printing very well.
I wanted to purchase a dual extruder but that wasn't a choice so I added the upgrade kit in my original order. And this morning I started the tear down / build up for the dual extruder.
All of the mechanical work went very well and I enjoyed doing it. The electronics was also pretty easy although the motor control in E1 (to be consistent with the plug facing the same side as E0) looked like it should go in with the red wire toward the back. On further reading and discovering the block schematics I probably need to turn it around. Now the *big* problem is finishing up the wiring harness or lack thereof on the new motors... The part (wiring bracket) that I was sent does not seem to match the part shown in the pdf. The part in the pdf shows what looks like a fold up back with a couple of holes in it. The part I got is a box with one oblong hole in the back. I'm having a devil of a time understanding how to cram the cables into this box. The connector for the single extruder was elegant, the "box" is not at all elegant. If anyone has some guidance, I'm sort of stuck right now wanting to do this right but ....

So bottom line, I would have loved to have been able to purchase the dual extruder model direct. I understand the comment about learning on one extruder first, but honestly I could have done that with one of the dual extruders. I'm satisfied that I'm doing ok with pla and am anxious to start running pla and petg for multiple reasons. I would have saved some time (and current frustration) if I could have avoided the dual extruder "kit".

Both of my sons have 3d printers and one of them started with twin extruders (not makergear) and had no trouble starting out that way so I'm not convinced that the learning curve is a major barrier.

Finally, I'm completely sold on the quality of the M2 and will definitely recommend it. I'm also very happy about the forum, both with regard to the expertise evident and the openness I see extended to everyone.
Glad to be here :)

Update:
Jules told me today that I had the old instructions for the dual extruder kit installation. The new instructions were completed four days ago and after looking at them I am very pleased. Everything is clear now and I can quickly finish the upgrade. She is also updating all of the other dual extruder materials and said she would have them done this week. All very good news.

peb31976

Post by peb31976 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:05 am

YES!!! knowing that you are buying a fully functional machine would help to sell more of them. and help reduce the wasted extra components left over from doing it yourself.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:46 am

billc wrote:
Update:
Jules told me today that I had the old instructions for the dual extruder kit installation. The new instructions were completed four days ago and after looking at them I am very pleased. Everything is clear now and I can quickly finish the upgrade. She is also updating all of the other dual extruder materials and said she would have them done this week. All very good news.

(Gonna be a little longer than i expected on finishing the new dual S3D profiles than I like - I accidentally deleted about half of them and need to redo those.) Apparently, if you have two copies of S3D open simultaneously making changes to profiles in one of them, you have to make absolutely sure that you close the one with the updated profiles last, or your three days worth of newly created profiles disappear forever. :roll:

There are times when it just doesn't pay to get up in the morning. I'll have to redo them again tomorrow. (Frickin-frackin-idiotic-brain-dead-moron! For my next trick.....) :evil:

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:35 am

I just wanted to make a quick post in response to this question. I purchased a dual kit nearly a year ago. I had reservations about all the problems it would cause so I didn't install it until a few days ago. I am by no means an expert and couldn't have made the progress I have without the help of the great members of this forum. I used an install guide from Jules and had everything connected and operational within a few hours of beginning. I continued to follow his guide closely setting the z stop, leveling the bed and adjusting the 2nd extruder. I had it printing out calibration squares that were right on spec within another hour or so. I posted a picture of the first dual color prints below and by no means are they perfect but I am pleased with the results so early in the process of understanding the nuances of dual color. This is with me doing the upgrade. I know there are people who overlook the M2 during a purchase decision because of the need to do the upgrade themselves. It is a shame as they may ultimately miss out on a great machine that has great support and a warm community of users who have your back when you are stuck. Thanks to all who participate here and make the experience of 3D printing enjoyable & thanks to Makergear for a great product and similar support to go with it! Just my 2 cents.....

20160420_2016142.jpg

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:56 am

You need to post that frog Make over on Thingie - it looks better than any of the other examples that others have posted of it! ;) :lol:

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:56 am

I agree! I assume you must be using a prime pillar or that shell option to reduce the smearing between colors? the transition between colors is so clean!

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:16 am

I used profiles that Jules posted with some slight differences. Yes to the ooze shield.

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:23 am

Last one, I promise....

I must say I was not expecting the dual to be able to print out like it is, particularly with so little effort. Many examples of dual color printing if have seen around the web (not printed on a MakerGear) are very poor which was part of the reason I waited to install. My daughter found this cat and asked me to print it so I decided to try white and black figuring it would be the least forgiving on oozing. Here are the results, I didn't clean it up at all....
20160422_201245.jpg
My right extruder (white) seems to end up starting out with a slight blob. I have been trying to find the setting that will control it a little better. Any ideas?

Thanks