Other extruder hitting print

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
scampa123

Other extruder hitting print

Post by scampa123 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:28 am

My dual is setup with PLA as tool-0 and PETG as tool-1

I'm trying to print a rose in PETG and I'm noticing that the the PLA extruder is bumping into the print.

I realize this is due to the differences in the gap due to the temp differences of the two filaments...

I'm wondering if anyone has a solution to this besides moving the PLA extruder up?

I'm currently trying another print where I've raised the temp on the PLA extruder to 285 to see if it will raise the gap on the PLAextruder to hopefully makeup the difference...

I'm looking for suggestions..

Thanks!!

Jules

Re: Other extruder hitting print

Post by Jules » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:46 am

When I set mine up according to the same guide that i know you used, my PLA nozzle just clears whatever I'm printing in PETG. But i do sometimes need to make sure that i have cleared any drips off the PLA nozzle. It's those drips that will hit a PETG print.

scampa123

Post by scampa123 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:52 am

What I think has happened is that things are out of alignment a bit.

When I cleared my clog in the PLA hotend I had removed it from the clamp. When I went to put it back I tried to base it on the PETG nozzle since I had already done the steps you outlined in the guide...What I may have done is not heated it when I put it back together...I'm not sure...but I know what I need to do...I need to ensure my Z is set right again on the left extruder and then reset the gap on the right....

If both of those are right as in your guide, then they shouldn't interfere since the cooled PLA nozzle should be lifted slightly since it is cold..

So we'll see....It's been an interesting weekend with this...but I think I'm getting there!!

Thanks!!

jsc

Post by jsc » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:04 am

To easily set the second nozzle, assuming you started with a level bed, loosen the clamp then raise the bed to contact the other nozzle. Drop the loose nozzle to the bed, then tighten. You should set your gcode z-offsets for each extruder separately for best results, because they will differ by a minute amount, just based on the filament you're printing, or if you're doing an actual dual print, pick one or average the two.

scampa123

Post by scampa123 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:28 pm

Okay, looks like I'm good now. This DID get out of alignment after I cleared a clog in one of my extruders.

I thought I was okay because I based the position on the other extruder, HOWEVER...I think I may not have heated the other extruder when setting the height.. Since the cooled extrude is "shorter" than when it is heated, it set things off..This had to be what happened..

I reset my Z on tool0, re-positioned tool1..and am successfully printing three roses in PETG (tool1) without the other extruder brushing into the prints... :D :D :D

Thanks everyone!!