Dual Extruder M2 Rev. E Profiles - Simplify3D (FFF files)

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
Jules

Re: Dual Extruder M2 Rev. E Profiles - Simplify3D (FFF files

Post by Jules » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:48 pm

Whoops! yeah, 20% is the default for that setting. (I was testing on something very small though, so probably had that jacked way down to reduce heat soak.)

I'll go drop a note to that effect into the discussion, cause I tend to forget after a few months what I did back then, and there might have been a change in the latest S3D version. :lol:

crazyg0od33

Post by crazyg0od33 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:36 am

Not sure if possible, but is there any way to get the bed preview to use the single extruder .stl in simplify3d when using the left / right extruder only profiles?

This is what's currently there:
current.PNG

This is what I would like:
preferred.PNG
The problem with the way it is currently, is that the left only profile CAN use the entire bed, but the way it's represented, if you were to use the furthest right part of the bed, it prints off the side. If it used the single extruder representation seen in the "preferred" image, it would never look like it's printing on the bed while actually being off the bed due to the correct visual style.

I've tried multiple times to change it, I found where to add a bed .stl file, and I found the single extruder bed .stl, but every time I reload the profile, or change a setting and hit ok, it reverts back to the dual.

Do I need to basically copy the single extruder profile, and then change all of the values to match up with the one provided here? Or is it a simple switch that I'm just too dumb to figure out?

Thanks!

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:27 pm

Unfortunately, not that I've found. You can't make it display as a single when you are using a dual. (That lovely layout is necessary for you to know you are working with a dual that has a limted bed span on one of the nozzles, I guess.)

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:06 pm

but there's nothing to prevent you from printing to the left of the origin when running the single nozzle. I've done that plenty of times.

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:26 pm

Jules wrote:Unfortunately, not that I've found. You can't make it display as a single when you are using a dual. (That lovely layout is necessary for you to know you are working with a dual that has a limted bed span on one of the nozzles, I guess.)
Well "Butter my backside and call me a biscuit!" I just found it. :lol:

Go to Tools > Options > Models and in there is a selection about using the old method of viewing. I have no idea what it said originally, because once you implement it - the whole layout goes back to the older one, and you no longer have the option of changing it back. The software will warn you to remove any prints on the board before it lets you change.

I have no idea if it actually works or not with the dual - in order to go back, you will probably need to uninstall and re-install S3D.

At least the grid isn't hanging off of the base anymore:
Capture6565.JPG

crazyg0od33

Post by crazyg0od33 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:55 pm

if it makes it easier, I duplicated the S3D default single extruder profile (save as new), and then just moved all of your settings over, and it works fine now.

Having some bed-leveling issues that have nothing to do with this profile, but doing that works just fine.

Should ONLY be ok with the left single extruder though, since it has the same range as the stock M2

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:33 pm

Really? I never though to try that - but it would be good to use for the left nozzle single profiles.

crazyg0od33

Post by crazyg0od33 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:37 pm

Never mind it doesn't actually change anything besides the image. The bed is still offset. Now it's just harder to tell. So don't do what I did. I'm gonna go back to your initial profile and just move the prints to where I need them.

mathisyourfriend

Post by mathisyourfriend » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Yet again I thank you for posting tips so freely. I just ordered a dual extruder (arrives tomorrow 3/8) and I've been poring over these posts. It still blows my mind that a hedgehog told me how to swap filament midprint for the hedgehog I was printing a few months back.

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:46 pm

mathisyourfriend wrote:Yet again I thank you for posting tips so freely. I just ordered a dual extruder (arrives tomorrow 3/8) and I've been poring over these posts. It still blows my mind that a hedgehog told me how to swap filament midprint for the hedgehog I was printing a few months back.
Yeah, I remember that...chuckle! Weird coincidence. :D