Newbie needs some help- Print bed strikes nozzles.

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
quicksilver285

Newbie needs some help- Print bed strikes nozzles.

Post by quicksilver285 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:31 am

UPDATE
RESOLVED - I flashed the wrong firmware. Reflash correct firmware required.

ORIGINAL POST

Hi I am new to this board and 3D printing. Just got my M2 rev E about a week ago and just finished upgrading it to dual extruders. I upgraded the firmware just fine. Somehow in the process of upgrading, I now have a problem with my z-axis. When I give it the command Home Z, the print bed leaves the lowest position and travels up too far to where it contacts the extruder nozzles. The z motor makes a nasty sound obviously and the print bed lowers slowly about 3 or 4 inches and then changes direction to go back up a bit with the normal health motor sound and stops. When I start a print it does this too as it seems to think it has more z travel distance than it does. The build volume is set to 200 mm in the z axis. I am using the default settings for the M2 dual from Simplify3D. I tried moving commanding the print bed up to the business card distance from the nozzle and clicking Zero Z but that does not stop the issue. From my research the Rev E model has a z axis sensor switch on the low end but nothing on the high end. Is this supposed to be the case? I am afraid to troubleshoot because I know how bad this is for the machine. Nothing seems to be broken yet so it is best to just ask for help before I wreck it.

Please help.

Thanks!
Last edited by quicksilver285 on Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jules

Re: Newbie needs some help- Print bed strikes nozzles.

Post by Jules » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:38 pm

Not a problem - you just need to re-run the MakerGear Quick Start application. :D

1. First thing, heat up both nozzles using the Jog controls.
2. Retract both of the filaments completely out.
3. Clean the tips of the nozzles with the tweezers while they cool. You need a clean flat nozzle surface on each nozzle.
4. Let both the nozzles cool to room temperature.
5. Just barely loosen the bolt that holds the right hotend in the clamp and raise it slightly in the holder before lightly tightening to temporarily hold it in place.
6 Run the MakerGear Quickstart App. Set a new Starting Height from the QuickStart App using the left nozzle. (You' don't have to re-level.) Save the new Starting Height before you exit the app.
7. After you set the Starting Height, you will raise the plate up by hand until it touches the left nozzle, tape the Z-knob into place so it does not turn, then you loosen the right hotend in the holder and press it down until it also contacts the plate. Then tighten the right hotend clamp screw.

8. Read the new Beginner's Guide here: (There is a section describing the Dual in it.)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3542

quicksilver285

Post by quicksilver285 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:51 pm

Thank you Jules! I will spend time with the machine tonight and follow these steps. I will get back to you with what happens. I should point out that I kind of tried to redo the z starting height with the quick start program. Last time I tried this, the bed leveling procedure started, the x and y motors went until the mechanical switches stopped them and the z axis motor sent the bed up from the bottom which disengaged the z axis switch which is located at the bottom of my machine and traveled blindly up to hit the nozzles. Then the bed went down a bit with the nasty sound until the bed went back up a title bit. When I proceed from there with the leveling and z height procedures, the bed starts off inches away from the nozzles and the software only allows me to move the bed up by 1mm twice and then I have to click up 0.1mm for ever until I can get to the right position. When I was doing this procedure with the single extruder with the shipped firmware the bed wouldn't contact the nozzle and ended up very near the nozzle where a reasonable number of clicks could be used to set the position. Is it possible that the new firmware/configuration setting I loaded to the Rambo thinks my mechanical switch for the z axis is near the top of the machine like older models?

I hope this helps. I can work with the printer again tonight. Thanks again for the help. I do appreciate it.

quicksilver285

Post by quicksilver285 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:46 pm

I just noticed that I said that I reflashed the new firmware without a problem but I did not mention that I used "M2Marlin-11-30-2015.zip" which is for "printers shipped after 12/11/2015 that have hardware revision D". I in fact have hardware revision E. I have the wrong firmware installed! I need firmware "M2E-Production-SnNRd-V100.Zip"!

This mistake is on me. I read too quickly on page "http://makergear.wikidot.com/m2-firmware" and since I knew I had a newer black Z motor and since I knew my extruder was a V4, i assumed the table at the top of the page listed the latest firmware that I needed. I did not continue reading below where the versions are clearly explained.

I hope this helps others that are too anxious for their own good.