Dual upgrade giving me trouble!

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
no3dprintexperience

Dual upgrade giving me trouble!

Post by no3dprintexperience » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:00 am

Ok, so I have a bunch of what are probably dumb questions. I started the upgrade on the weekend but the motor wouldn't work (it was in the wrong spot on the RAMBo). Then I couldn't level the bed because I had the wrong firmware installed. When I finally had both extruders loaded with filament (PLA) and ready to try to print, I took Jules' FFF file for dual colour PLA and imported it to S3D. I have just tried four prints in a row with the same issues:

1) Only left extruder purges and then it purges in a huge blob on the bed that started to clog up the hotend. How do I get it to purge off the bed and wipe again? I see the starting script says for both extruders to purge, but that is not happening.
2) Only the left extruder prints, even though I have two separate files in S3D and use the Dual Extrusion Wizard to assign different colours (I tried this with both the Makergear M2 Dual profile and the VEDual Dual Color PLA profile). In each case, it starts to print fine but then uses the left extruder (Tool 0) to print both parts of the piece.

I tried to go into the FFF settings and configuring the extruders separately as opposed to both at once, and then the left extruder didn't work at all.

Anyone have any ideas for me? Thanks.

Jules

Re: Dual upgrade giving me trouble!

Post by Jules » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:48 am

Can you upload the script that is causing you trouble? (Going to have to zip it first.) It might be my error though, it's very easy to forget to update a setting when you're doing 10 of them, so don't fret about it. :?

Unfortunately, if it isn't the script, you might have something wired wrong with the extruders, or you might have the wrong firmware installed. (Since it's doing it with the default, that might be an issue.)

Let me take a look at the FFF file, tell me exactly which machine you have, which firmware you installed (with a link) and I'll see if I can figure it out.

(And stop trying to print until we figure it out.) :)

no3dprintexperience

Post by no3dprintexperience » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:07 am

I am using the M2 RevE and at first I installed the M2_Dual_Extruder_Marlin_Black_Z_Motor firmware, but I couldn't get the bed to level until I saw the other thread with the same problem and changed to the M2E-Production-SnNRd-V100 firmware tonight. That solved one of my problems! I downloaded it from here: http://makergear.wikidot.com/m2-firmware.

I have attached the FFF file. It is 100% possible I wired the extruders wrong, but I was able to get the filament loaded in the second extruder tonight through S3D so I know at least in that respect the jog controls were working when I switched between active toolheads on the accessory control. But when it came time to print, everything was being printed by Tool 0.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide!
Attachments
VEDual Dual Color PLA.zip
(3.51 KiB) Downloaded 414 times

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:20 am

Okay fantastic! That is the right firmware.....one down.

I suspect that you had the outdated assembly instructions based on when you received your printer with the upgrade.....you need to send me a private message with your email address so I can send you a copy. It's similar to the one you used, but there are differences in it that are very important.

I think one of the issues you are seeing is from turning the E1 connector backwards in the Rambo. The red wire on that connector needs to face towards the front of the M2.
From the description in the installation instructions....it's number 3. on the page.
Rambo Wiring - Dual.jpg
Send me a PM with your email, I can't attach the instructions to a PM.
Last edited by Jules on Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

no3dprintexperience

Post by no3dprintexperience » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:32 am

Thanks for this - I just checked and the red wire does face the front of the machine.

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:49 am

Okay, now that you have installed the correct firmware, and checked the orientation of the wire, that is two problems down - but I'm going to need to work on this with you more tomorrow - (the glob on the bed and the extruder not extruding.)

Can't pull an all nighter tonight....doctor's orders.

In the meantime - make sure you have re-set your gap using the QuickStart App and the left nozzle - instructions are in the Beginner's Guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3542

no3dprintexperience

Post by no3dprintexperience » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:51 am

Awesome, I am looking to go to bed too! We will reconnect tomorrow, but I did read the Beginners Guide and reset the gap per instructions. Thanks again.

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:21 pm

Whenever you get back to this, I need you to try a couple of things:

Regarding getting the right nozzle (Tool 1) to print:

1. Heat it up first using the jog control settings panel. Try using the jog controls in S3D to extrude 20mm at a time for a total of 100 mm from just that nozzle. (Tool 1) If it does not extrude, retract the filament completely (100 mm) using the jog controls, pull it out of the top as it is retracting (slowly and sometimes very firmly) and check that there isn't a jam or something in the nozzle. Check the tooth marks on the retracted end of the filament and make sure you have the correct bite marks. (Filament Drive Tension screw setting.) (Cut the end on the spool perfectly flat before you try to feed it back in later.)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2694

Once you are successful with that.....

2. Try to print a calibration square (or anything small) using the MakerGear M2 Dual default profile with each of the individual extruders.

(Okay, it occurs to me that the new users don't know what a calibration square is......here's a download....Ed came up with this and it's perfect for testing....prints in about 3-4 minutes.)
calibration.zip
(1.98 KiB) Downloaded 433 times
When you print from the left nozzle using the default profile, you need to make sure that you have set a Temperature for each nozzle on the Temperature tab in the default profile - I just noticed that it lists 0° temp for Tool 0 on the default. (That is an error in the S3D default, that i just caught because i don't ever use the default. :? )

When you print from the right extruder, you will need to change the Tool that you are using from Tool 0 (left Extruder) to Tool 1(right Extruder) on each of these pages in the Advanced S3D profile settings:
S3D settings.jpg

Let me know if any of that works/doesn't work.

Regarding the huge blob that purges from extruder 0 before starting:

1. When you tested my profile, and the default, does the left nozzle head clear the bed before it starts purging? It should be purging over open air....if it is not, there is a problem with the distance that the nozzle is traveling.
Or is the purge just wrapping up around the nozzle and not dropping off? That is normal, it happens when there is a bit of unmelted plastic in the nozzle tip that prevents the purge from dropping straight down until that bit melts or gets pushed out. You can clean off the tip carefully with the tweezers while it cools (after a print) and reduce that, or stand by while it purges and pull it off with the tweezers.

2. When you posted the earlier version of my profile, did you update it with the settings from S3D that you were using, export it and then zip it up for upload? Or did you just post a copy of what you downloaded?

no3dprintexperience

Post by no3dprintexperience » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:38 pm

Ok, I know this worked yesterday because that's how I was able to get the filament loaded. I just tried again and got this error:

SENT: M104 S205 T1
RECEIVED: echo:M104 Invalid extruder
M104 Invalid extruder

So I am going to assume that is related to the FFF file I imported? Because it worked yesterday with the original firmware and profile settings. I will revert to those settings and try again.

no3dprintexperience

Post by no3dprintexperience » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:43 pm

I reset all settings through S3D and am still getting the same invalid extruder error. Is it possibly related to the firmware? Because when I loaded my filament, I was using the Marlin Black Z Motor firmware, but then I couldn't get the bed to level and had to upload the Production SnNRd firmware. That's the only thing I can think of that would be different between when it worked last night and now.