Installing software on Upgraded Dual Extruder M2

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
Explorer71

Installing software on Upgraded Dual Extruder M2

Post by Explorer71 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:18 pm

I have a MakerGear M2 that I've been very pleased with. A few months ago I bought the dual extruder upgrade. The hardware installation was difficult because the instructions were confusing, but I think I got that finally. Then came the software and I'm lost. I gave up and the printer has sat there while I worked on renovating my house. Now I'm ready to get the printer working (just ordered a GeckoTek plate so solve adhesion problems). I still can't figure out how to change the software in the printer. It doesn't show up when I plug it to my laptop and I'm not a UNIX person. Is there a simple step by step set of instructions on how to change the Arduino and Merlin software for the dual extruder M2?

Jules

Re: Installing software on Upgraded Dual Extruder M2

Post by Jules » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:08 pm

Yes, if you will send me a private message with your email address i can send you a copy. (PM's don't allow attachments.)

jsf

Post by jsf » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:32 pm

Is there a link where I can find the instructions for installing the software as I upgraded to the dual Extruder M2.

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:05 pm

They keep the instructions for that updated on the Wiki:

http://makergear.wikidot.com/dualhttp:/ ... 2-firmware

vesteroid

Post by vesteroid » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:25 am

Hate to admit it, but I am stuck here as well at how do I flash the firmware. The link upthread does not work, and I cant for the life of me find anthing on how to flash firmware.

Can someone point me in the correct direction?

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:49 am

Please read the Firmware Installation instructions carefully! You have to get the correct version of Arduino. V1.5.5

http://makergear.wikidot.com/m2-firmware

vesteroid

Post by vesteroid » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:25 pm

Ok, had some time today and got through the firmware install, as well as leveling out the new mic6 plate with quick start. Just printed my bracelet to test things and all is well so far.

I now need to get S3d set up and do all the alignment stuff. I have not leveled the second extruder yet as I wanted to make sure it was above the first just to try my firmware.

vesteroid

Post by vesteroid » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:01 pm

Think...Think, I have this all working now. I downloaded the two models off wiki, used the dual extrusion wizard in s3d, played with the settings to get the temps to where maker gear seems to use (70c bed and 220 on pla) added a brim or skirt or whatever that little two line outline thing is and pressed go. its about halfway through and seems to not need any offset adjustment. Maybe I will see something that does need it when I take it off the printer, but so far so good.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:06 am

Chuckle! Great! Don't jinx it! :D

vesteroid

Post by vesteroid » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:27 am

well final update

Printed.

Was pretty darn close on a side about 25mm

was about 79.5 tall so lost something there

First layer was squished so the bottom measured more than the middle and top. I need to adjust that somehow.

Little ooze on the print at one corner (used black and yellow with black being the small square and the yellow being the L) I had black ooze on one corner of the yellow. Not sure why that is.