Dual Offset

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
KeithA

Dual Offset

Post by KeithA » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:33 pm

I am trying to make it so when I print a single item with one extruder it will print directly in the center of the build plate. Originally I was being thrown off by SImpllify3D and the way it displays it. I see several locations where there are offset settings but not sure how to get it the way I want. All my attempt have ended up with no noticeable difference or something I wasn't anticipating. Anybody care to share the appropriate settings to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Keith

Jules

Re: Dual Offset

Post by Jules » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:43 pm

I moved the actual print center point closer to the center of the bed by using an X-Offset of 25 mm.

(Please note - that is the Global X-Offset slot on the G-Code page, not the Z-Offset.)

But.....although the actual print will land near the center of the plate, the image on the screen version of the bed is going to appear to be sitting off to the right.

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:07 pm

I am still struggling with this. When using Simplify3D it is pretty close when it actually prints for both extruders. I am trying to get use to using Octoprint currently. I am just about to a point I can use it to my satisfaction. It seems like it doesn't use the same parameters as Simplify as it prints way off center when it uses a gcode created by Simplify. I thought is was an error on my part but it has happened repeatedly. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Jules

Post by Jules » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:00 pm

Nope, can't help there....never used Octopi. :(

jsc

Post by jsc » Sun May 01, 2016 8:29 am

OctoPrint is merely a host program. Its main job is to send your gcode file a line at a time and wait for a response from your printer. That's it. Whatever results you get are entirely determined by the contents of the file. So if your print is off to the side, you need to adjust the gcode generated by Simplify3D. If you print the same gcode file via flash card or S3D, you should get the same results. If that doesn't happen, that is interesting and warrants investigation.

KeithA

Post by KeithA » Sun May 01, 2016 4:46 pm

I figured it out. Apparently I messed up a setting in Octopi. It pertained to the offset for the dual extruder. I matched what the default Makergear Dual profile had (-31.10). Apparently that was incorrect and it should be 31.1. My current settings are below. The other item I noticed is that the jog for Y in Octopi is reverse of what I would expect. Clicking the box that reverses it also flips the model upside down when looking from above though so I just left it as it isnt something I commonly use.

Thanks
simplify.jpg
octopi.jpg

jsc

Post by jsc » Sun May 01, 2016 8:59 pm

When you say the Y jog does the reverse of what you expect, what do you expect and what does it do? Pushing the up button should move your bed towards the front.

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Sun May 01, 2016 11:30 pm

To reverse the jog movement check the "Invert Control" option in the second screen you posted.
I have my Y and Z axis flipped, so the direction of the arrows corresponds with the movement of the hardware rather than increasing/decreasing values on that axis.