Dual Extruder Upgrade Availability?

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
NF6X

Re: Dual Extruder Upgrade Availability?

Post by NF6X » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:13 am

I plan to order some PVA and HIPS to experiment with, but I get the feeling that I will only want to use it when I really need it.

I actually am interested in experimenting with using HIPS by itself for some special-purpose prints. I understand that polystyrene is useful for certain electronic applications because of its dielectric properties, so I wonder whether HIPS filament might be useful for printing certain things like radio coil forms, high-voltage insulators, etc?

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:49 am

No idea on the HIPS. Jin might know - he's printed with it. (It might be better than the PVA for support too - I've never printed ABS or HIPS.)

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:50 pm

NF6X wrote:high-voltage insulators
Be careful with those, because the nature of fused-filament 3D printed objects works against you.

Even with "100% infill", there's plenty of air within the object: the creep distance will be roughly a straight line from one side to the other and the breakdown voltage will be about the same as the equivalent air gap.

As long as you don't depend on a coil bobbin to double as a high-voltage insulator, it should work fine to hold the wires in the proper orientation. This PLA doodad mounted a slit ferrite core for a Hall-effect current sensor, with everything floating on the hot side of the line:
https://softsolder.com/2014/08/22/ft82- ... oid-armor/

NF6X

Post by NF6X » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:29 pm

Aha! I hadn't considered the porosity of the printed object. Thanks for pointing that out.

crazyg0od33

Post by crazyg0od33 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:15 am

sorry to hijack a little, but peaking of the upgrade - is there any option of having the dual extruder already installed?

I know I could do it but would feel better knowing it was installed by someone who definitely knew what they were doing.

The biggest upgrade I've done was adding a heated build plate to my printrbot play...

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:47 am

Right now the dual upgrade only comes as a kit. (It's really not hard to install though if you just carefully follow the instructions. Takes a few hours one weekend afternoon.) :D

crazyg0od33

Post by crazyg0od33 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:04 pm

Alright you've convinced me. I'm going to place an order for both the printer and the dual extruder today. Really excited!