Good Soluble Support Material - NEEEDED!

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
psd

Good Soluble Support Material - NEEEDED!

Post by psd » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:46 pm

This one is for the MakerGear Admin as much as the community.
The one advantage to buying a high cost machine (I have used Stratasys Dimension and the Object Machines very successfully in the past) is the incredibly precise detail inside and out thanks to the ability to print a soluble support.
Since I have had my M2 I have had to farm out parts which needed a great internal and external quality to others whose machines can print with soluble support.

I would love it if there was a soluble support which worked well with M2 in a dual extruder mode.

Every discussion I have participated in about support material for the M2 ends in disappointing quality and stick mess.

Why can the others get this right?

If Makergear provided a material or endorsed a material which would print perfectly as support to PETG, ABS or PLA and was soluble, then I wouldn't need anyone else's machines!!!!

please lets get on this!
- peter,

innovative product designer and tinkerer

www.petersolomondesign.com

crazyg0od33

Re: Good Soluble Support Material - NEEEDED!

Post by crazyg0od33 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:26 pm

Isn't that what the PVA is for?

or are you saying nothing has worked well on your printer so far that you've tried?

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:44 am

i dont know of any others that can get it "right" besides the big guys like strat and 3ds. all desktop machines are limited to the same current available materials. pva and hips. problem is that desktop machines can print about anything and most support materials are used with one type of plastic. pva works with pla for instance but not with much else. if you want to print petg, nylon, abs, etc then you cant use pva. strat machines lock you out of everything. you have to print with one filament and the designed support for it. i wish there was one support for all but unfortunately not.

psd

Post by psd » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:02 am

So it's PVA with PLA?

And has anyone gotten good results with PVA here with an M2?

Every previous thread I read was stating that PVA is too sticky and unable to get a good print.

Has anyone found great results?

If so I am buying a second extruder ASAP.
Any preferred brand of PVA if so?

Thanks
- peter,

innovative product designer and tinkerer

www.petersolomondesign.com

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:34 am

what i am told is all the pva is made by esun and sold to the other companies. not sure if thats true or not but either way esun has it and they put out a good product. i have never used pva since i dont use pla for anything. i have heard that you do not want to get it too hot or leave it cooking in the extruder. it will harden leaving the hotend unsalvageable. again, not sure all the details on that. its just what i have heard quite a few people say. i personally dont use support for much of anything. i print parts that get used so i dont print in pla and i design my parts to be printed in pieces then assembled avoiding any kind of support. polymakr makes a non pva support material for pla. not sure what it is or what their claims are about the material.

http://www.polymaker.com/wp-content/upl ... glish-1.pd