Upgrading Rev E + LCD to dual: Which firmware?

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
Hugs

Upgrading Rev E + LCD to dual: Which firmware?

Post by Hugs » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:39 pm

My dual upgrade kit is arriving today (woo-hoo!) and had a question on which firmware is correct for me. I have the MG-branded LCD so I'm not sure which one to choose from here:
http://makergear.wikidot.com/m2-firmware

I'm guessing "M2E-Production-SnNRd-V101 - Dual.zip" since it's the same for both the plain upgrade and the Geeetech LCD.

Jules

Re: Upgrading Rev E + LCD to dual: Which firmware?

Post by Jules » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:51 pm

Yep! That's the one! Congrats on the upgrade! :D

Hugs

Post by Hugs » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:16 pm

Thanks Jules!

I'm just finished with the first page of the instructions found here.

I have a couple of observations so far if you're up for some comments.

The first of which (not aimed at you of course) is there are no instructions included in the package! :o Not even a link to the above page.

Jules

Post by Jules » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:58 pm

Whoops! If they haven't changed anything since I put those together, they should still work. (Don't think they have.) They might have just overlooked putting one in your box. :)

(Say Hugs, i'm not sure whether you have a Geetech or a Viki LCD...if the firmware doesn't work for the V101, you can flash the V104. I didn't realize they had a new one on the wiki.)

Hugs

Post by Hugs » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:21 am

There are definitely some differences. These are my notes so far (referencing the page numbers as displayed in the PDF):

Page 3 "Remove Motor Mount, Mounting Plate, and Belt Clamp"
  1. It seems to work better if Step 3 comes before Step 2. I.e. completely remove the mounting plate before trying to remove the belt clamp.
Page 4 "Assembly tip: Put a small piece of masking tape over the nuts..."
  1. The nuts were pretty secure. I tapped the belt clamp fairly firmly on a table and the nuts didn't move.
Page 6 "Wiring"
  1. In the list of parts, there are (2) M2x40 screws indicated but nowhere in that section are they referenced.
  2. Step 2 - "Open the electronics case". The electronics case fan is socketed so I could just unplug it and set the case completely aside.
Page 7 "RAMBo"
  1. The image with the arrow indicating "Red wire towards front" can be misleading. The wires were twisted so there's no guarantee in which order they're visible.
Page 8 "Connecting the Wires"
  1. Step 3 - "The Extruder fan (M2 Fan Guard)". Both fans have an M2 fan guard
  2. EDIT: I take that back...it seems that #1 or #2 work. Step 4 - Just for us tool geeks... "(Small Phillips head required)". It's a #1 Phillips ;)
On to page 9 after a quick break :D
Last edited by Hugs on Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hugs

Post by Hugs » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:02 am

Ok, this one is a doozy as far as I'm concerned. I'm going to email MG support.

Motor 1 is crooked:
crooked.jpg
Which is causing the filament drive to be rotated:
crooked-drive.jpg

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:33 am

You have dissimilar filament drive gears....one of them is the old style (the one with the deeper teeth on the left) and one of the newer ones with the shallow teeth. (Unless the one on the left is the old one that hasn't been changed yet.) I think you'll want both of those to match, for consistent treatment as well.

Hugs

Post by Hugs » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:37 am

Jules wrote:You have dissimilar filament drive gears....one of them is the old style (the one with the deeper teeth on the left) and one of the newer ones with the shallow teeth. (Unless the one on the left is the old one that hasn't been changed yet.) I think you'll want both of those to match, for consistent treatment as well.
I've already added that to my list :D. I specifically chose this one from the shop because I purchased mine in March of '16:
shop-choice.jpg
shop-choice.jpg (10.98 KiB) Viewed 15130 times

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:35 am

Gotcha! :D

Hugs

Post by Hugs » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:51 am

Hugs wrote: Page 7 "RAMBo"
  1. The image with the arrow indicating "Red wire towards front" can be misleading. The wires were twisted so there's no guarantee in which order they're visible.
I understand this one now....

If you plug in the "E1" connector to match the existing "EXT" connector (i.e. the label facing up so it's readable), the right extruder will run backwards. So you have to orient the red wire as it enters the connector towards the front of the printer. I had to push the heat shrink back a bit to see the colors.

Sorry for more potato pics but the guide makes sense now (this is the correct orientation)
extruder.jpg