Upgrading Rev E + LCD to dual: Which firmware?

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
Jules

Re: Upgrading Rev E + LCD to dual: Which firmware?

Post by Jules » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:32 am

You got it! :D

Hugs

Post by Hugs » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:57 am

Jules wrote:You got it! :D
And I got it all put together last night :)

That may be a good troubleshooting tip as well..."if you can't feed filament in the right extruder check the rotation direction and check E1's orientation".

Just a few more comments with the new kit:
  1. Both filament drives are in the same baggie and at quick glance, they're very similar. Maybe mention "the left filament drive is longer", "the left drive looks very similar to the single drive", etc. I know they only fit one way but I had to stare for a bit.
  2. I had to drill out the mounting holes on the right spool holder with a 4mm bit. The M4x16 screws would barely even thread through. And forget about the washers. I just used the cap head of the M4 as the washer as it sat in the countersink.
  3. Finally, as you touched on earlier, the last page (12) about drive tension is now obsolete with the new drive gear. The bite pattern is completely different.
That last one brings up a related point...do you have a guide for the new gear? The only thing I really can find is the thread from Rick regarding the new design: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3501.

Finally, I'm also putting together notes for the dual setup using Slic3r/Repetier so I'll pass those on to you once I have them cleaned up. I'm a few prints in and well on my way :)

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:33 am

That last one brings up a related point...do you have a guide for the new gear?
No, I'm still using the old style ones. If you run across some differences, be sure to post them. I think those newer ones keep you from setting the tension too high....you can't dig in with the teeth as deeply any more.