Dual Extruder Alignment

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
itzkasper

Dual Extruder Alignment

Post by itzkasper » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:25 am

Hey Everyone,

I recently installed my Dual Extruder but after printing, apparently the alignment is a tad bit off. I'm not sure how to fix this because the bed and nozzles are completely leveled but it seems to be a x/y axis issue? Any advice would be helpful. I'll place an image of the cone below that I printed. As you can see, I think the black filament/extruder is somehow off. Please help and thank you :)

Phil

Re: Dual Extruder Alignment

Post by Phil » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:54 pm

If you are using S3D, go to the G-code tab and the Toolhead Offsets drop-down menu. Measure how far off your black is from the white and input those x-y numbers on Tool 1. It looks as if you will need several 0.010". It may take a few tries to get it perfect, but it can be done.
Some people may even have STL files to help with the measuring. They print single, fine lines that are easier to measure.
I find that the best indication you have perfect alignment is an ooze shield. It should look the same on all four sides. If not, keep adjusting.

itzkasper

Post by itzkasper » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:09 pm

Phil wrote:If you are using S3D, go to the G-code tab and the Toolhead Offsets drop-down menu. Measure how far off your black is from the white and input those x-y numbers on Tool 1. It looks as if you will need several 0.010". It may take a few tries to get it perfect, but it can be done.
Some people may even have STL files to help with the measuring. They print single, fine lines that are easier to measure.
I find that the best indication you have perfect alignment is an ooze shield. It should look the same on all four sides. If not, keep adjusting.
Hey Phil, thanks for the advice. I tried adjusting the Toolhead Offsets multiple times ranging from 0.010" to even 1-4" and I got the same results every single time. No matter what I changed the numbers to, the print always starts off unaligned. I also tried adjusting the numbers on both Tool 1 and Tool 0 and it didn't change anything. Any other suggestions? Or links to file(s) that could help me with the alignment? Thank you!

itzkasper

Post by itzkasper » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:57 pm

Here's another example of how unaligned it is.

Josh
Site Admin

Post by Josh » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:02 pm

http://makergear.wikidot.com/dual has tool offset adjustment information.

itzkasper

Post by itzkasper » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:29 pm

Josh wrote:http://makergear.wikidot.com/dual has tool offset adjustment information.
Hey Josh, I was on that page all day yesterday trying to adjust the Tool Offsets but no matter what numbers I'd input into the x and y axis, everything I printed always came out the same. I'm not sure why S3D isn't adjusting the offsets. I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software but still no luck.

Phil

Post by Phil » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:11 pm

I forgot to add one important step, when you set the toolhead offsets, Click the button to the left titled, "Apply toolhead offsets to G-code coordinates".

itzkasper

Post by itzkasper » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:49 am

Phil wrote:I forgot to add one important step, when you set the toolhead offsets, Click the button to the left titled, "Apply toolhead offsets to G-code coordinates".
Hey Phil, thank you so much! Problem solved :)