Extruder now moving left too far - making grinding sound

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
3dztech

Extruder now moving left too far - making grinding sound

Post by 3dztech » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:44 am

I just installed the dual upgrade kit.

However, now when I use the "M2E Z Offset Adjustment (v0.5.0)" the extruder (now dual) just keeps trying to push far left (almost like it's trying to go off rail) which ends up making this loud grinding sound for about 5 seconds (which is because it keeps trying move left on the rail with no more room) and then it goes back to working normally...

Has anyone experienced this or know what I'm referring to? I feel pretty confident about the install overall.

insta

Re: Extruder now moving left too far - making grinding sound

Post by insta » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:27 pm

Did you use the new endstop flag? There's a piece that holds the belt in place, that's a different shape for the dual.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

3dztech

Post by 3dztech » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:22 pm

[more or less SOLVED]
It turned out the x-axis limiter wasn't getting activated due to the gap with the upgraded plastic belt clamp.

I stripped it all back down but couldn't figure out a way to make it closer contact so I just super glued a tiny heel onto the edge which allowed the limiter to get fully pressed. :)

Vprints

Post by Vprints » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:47 am

Thank you for helping me figure out what on Earth was going on! I finally broke down & took the plunge to upgrade from my trusty V3b, and thought everything was going well until I tried to print and the initial homing resulted in KXKXKXKXKCHXKXKXKCHXKXKCHCHCXXKCHCHK!

(Breaking out Ye Olde Superglue and a tiny piece of raft now...)
-Vprints

Changing my world, one print at a time

Bluelizard658

Post by Bluelizard658 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:34 pm

I had the same problem. Turns out the Z-knob is too wide and was hitting the extruder. Makergear gave me a very small one from one of the newer models and it works fine now.