Dual Extruder Upgrade - Limited Availability

The official subforum for discussion of the installation and use of the official M2 Dual Extruder upgrade.
Dave K

Re: Dual Extruder Upgrade - Limited Availability

Post by Dave K » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:05 am

Dale Reed wrote:Rick,

My pre-order is in. I requested (if possible) to get both versions of the V4 -- one extruder all-metal and one extruder PTFE-lined. I'm thinking of doing some fine two-color work. Will these have 0.35 mm nozzles? Can I order additional nozzles (like to set up one with 0.25 mm if I can)?

Thanks for bringing this to reality!
Dale
Dale, can you explain the advantages of one type over the other? All I know is that higher temps are possible with the all-metal hot end, but it sounds like there is more to it than that. I didn't request one type or the other when I made the order.

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:19 am

Dave,

No, I can't --- that's WHY I want both! My first blush impression is that the all-metal hot end would better handle higher-melting filament -- high-melt nylon, polycarbonate, etc. -- and the PTFE-lined hot end would better handle NinjaFlex and flexible PLA and the like -- less sticking and friction.

But I want to test and find out and report back.

Also, I'd like to get information on making dual-color prints in PLA or PET+. If you ever used an HP calculator in the '70s, you know the keys were double-shot injection molded. The key legends are a separate color injection molded all the way through the keys so they can never wear off. I want to try that on some project I have in mind. Now, the only hiccup is: what software do I use to design this dual-color molded-text-in-a-button thing!? (That's why I want to go to a .25 mm nozzle...)

Dale

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:26 am

dale, i dont know why you are guessing. you can just run down there on your lunch break and see them lol. im not sure how the v4 is designed yet with the ptfe and how it controls the heat. if its anything like the way the e3dv6 is though that has a ptfe liner and you can still run it at 300. hardly any heat travels up to the cooling fins where the liner is. im sure sooner or later rick will post a pic of both the hot ends and tell us about them a bit as well as temps.

Dave K

Post by Dave K » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:18 am

Interesting. I couldn't find much concrete info on pros/cons of all-metal vs a ptfe liner, but what I was able to find is consistent with Dale's and Jim's info. Melting point 327C, very slippery and self-lubricating, so I suppose jams would be less likely with the liner, but the top end temp would be higher without it.

sprior

Post by sprior » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:01 am

What's the highest extruder temp we think we care about for 3D printing?

Dave K

Post by Dave K » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:06 am

Polycarbonate needs around 300C or slightly above. There may be filaments that need higher temp, but that's the highest I'm aware of.

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:15 am

honestly the v3b did everything i really needed temp wise BUT i was running dangerously close to the max meltdown limit. with the all metal designs 300-310 is just fine so i no longer have to worry. most of the time that is only limited by the thermistor not the heat traveling up the cooling fins. i am running at 270 right now and i can touch the first fin closest to the block and its barely warm.

Dave K

Post by Dave K » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:22 am

Yeah, that's pretty much what I heard...I don't have the link anymore...but the guy was printing a little hotter than 300C, close to the ptfe melting point, but the ptfe sleeve wasn't down at the heating block, it was higher up in the tube and didn't see that level of heat. Have you gone to an all-metal design in your M2? I haven't been on forum much for several weeks and I feel like I'm out of touch already!

jimc

Post by jimc » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:37 am

yes right now an e3dv5. i really had no idea when rick was releasing his so i went and got an e3d. two days later e3d released the v6 and 3 days later rick made the announcement that the v4 was ready lol........typical luck i have. :roll:

Capt. John

Post by Capt. John » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:45 am

206.50 with shipping for my new dual head setup is a done deal.

Yet to figure out how to mount the second spool of filament.
Capt. John
Manistee, Michigan
Reel Amateur at 3D printing
Fishing Tackle Manufacturer & Webmaster for:
http://www.michiganangler.com
http://www.michigansportsman.com