BattleBots

Other stuff you would like to discuss...
rpollack

Re: BattleBots

Post by rpollack » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:52 pm

I have not seen it yet.

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:18 pm

"Almost" fires? Wasn't the house bot shooting flames at the competitors?

lem

Post by lem » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:47 am

I tried to make a go cart frame using a car battery as a stick welder. Life on the farm.
Car batteries are great welders. They'll weld anything. Screw drivers, wrenches, belt buckles ..............

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:02 pm

The big electrolytic capacitors from old linear computer power supplies were great for (exceedingly brief) welding. My borther (slowly) charged a 50,000 uF cap up to about 40 volts, then held the screw terminals up to a door hinge. It stayed there.

LazMech

Post by LazMech » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:07 am

There was a battlebots class at my college; it lasted for 1 trimester. The idiots battled in a parking lot with tape on the ground as a barrier and dozens of people standing right outside the tape. Knowing disaster was waiting I walked up the nearby hill. One of the bots had a small gas powered engine twirling 5lb sledgehammer heads; it decimated the other bots. Sure enough though, 5 minutes in a 5lb sledgehammer head broke off the shaft it was welded to and flew into the crowd. Ended up with one guy with a cut leg and one girl with a shattered leg.

About the BattleBots show revival... love it. Was so annoyed that BattleBots and Robot Wars ended. I don't see how Tombstone is going to lose other than due to some mechanical failure. How the hell do you neutralize that thing other than with a net (which is against the rules)?

swbluto

Post by swbluto » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:53 pm

jsc wrote:I'm slightly annoyed that the MIT contingent just had to be the most aggressively oddball group of geek eccentrics you could find (the mouse ears were a bit twee).
Lol, reminds me much of nuke school. Between the random pikachu costumes and roman centurion outfits and everything between, it was a pretty interesting bunch.

jsc

Post by jsc » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:31 pm

Does "nuke school" mean you were a submariner?

swbluto

Post by swbluto » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:32 pm

Lol, no, I was slated for an aircraft carrier. I've heard the submariners have the best stories / most comfy life since it's not 'all uptight and formal' like the aircraft carriers. They get to wear sneakers on the deck, lucky bastards.

Nuke school is the 2-year long school down in Charleston, SC and also known as Naval Nuclear Propulsion Training Command. My class is currently in prototype, which is the last step before shipping off to the fleet.

Mark the Greater

Post by Mark the Greater » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:04 pm

swbluto wrote:Lol, no, I was slated for an aircraft carrier. I've heard the submariners have the best stories / most comfy life since it's not 'all uptight and formal' like the aircraft carriers. They get to wear sneakers on the deck, lucky bastards.

Nuke school is the 2-year long school down in Charleston, SC and also known as Naval Nuclear Propulsion Training Command. My class is currently in prototype, which is the last step before shipping off to the fleet.
All of this is true. Ah, it was the best of times it was the ugliest people of times...

Also, this Tombstone?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzZa_5Vdcy0
Love Always,
MtG

jsc

Post by jsc » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:03 am

Yes.

Does not Chuck Pitzer look like Tim's avatar image?
http://www.battlebotsupdate.com/wp-cont ... _chuck.jpg