Attaching servo arms to other things

Other stuff you would like to discuss...
jsc

Attaching servo arms to other things

Post by jsc » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:59 pm

Many of you are handy sorts of people, and may have experience with these things, so I ask you:

I have a mini 9g servo, a TowerPro SG92R. I've mounted it, and attached one of the horns using the supplied screws. Now I need to attach the other end of the horn to a hole in another part such that it can rotate around, up and down in the same plane as the servo rotation.

What do people use to attach these things to other things? The holes in the horn are the smallest I've ever seen, an eyeglass screw is too large to fit. Are they even intended for screws? Are there nuts that small? I may end up just tying it on with some monofilament, but I was wondering if anybody knew the real answer.

insta

Re: Attaching servo arms to other things

Post by insta » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:42 am

Servo horn holes are made to accept bent pushrods that connect to the steering linkages and such on RC cars. Its usually a stiff 18-gauge steel wire or similar.

You might be able to use a staple...

Best way to do it is probably embed the injection-molded servo horn into a printed adapter.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

lem

Post by lem » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:38 am

I used a circular servo horn. Printed an adapter and used small screws and nuts to attach the two.

jsc

Post by jsc » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:02 am

lem wrote:... and used small screws and nuts to attach the two.
Yes, that's what I'm asking: there is no screw/nut size that will fit the horns on the mini servo I'm using. Yours looks like a more standard larger servo.

I think insta must be right, and I'll look to rigging something up with a piece of wire and maybe a dab of epoxy.

Nice robot, btw.

lem

Post by lem » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:10 pm

Yes, mine is a standard servo, but you could do something similar with the small one. If it's really small you could use pins as brads to hook the servo horn to a printed adapter.