Crack CNC Mill

Other stuff you would like to discuss...
jsc

Re: Crack CNC Mill

Post by jsc » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:54 pm

This is the off-topic forum after all.

Why did you decide on X-carve vs Shapeoko 3? Seems like X-carve is a mild Shapeoko 2 upgrade, while the Shapeoko 3 is more sturdy, but less popular (so far). Either one is far less costly than the Nomad or Sherline, let alone the shopbot....

lem

Post by lem » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:35 am

Yeah, ok.

For my first venture into the CNC world I wanted something that was not too expensive but had the potential to do real work. I don't have a lot of information on the Shapeoko3, so whatever I say here comes from reading on the net which we all know never contains any mis-information. :roll:

The X-carve is mostly an open source machine much like the M2. Shapeoko3 is rumored to be more proprietary.

Although I have not personally dealt with M2 support, from the reading that I've done on this forum Makergear support is superb. My experience with X-carve support is better than the reports of M2 support. Shapeoko3 doesn't have much support yet, but may come with time. Shipments on the Shapeoko3 were spotty and delayed (X-carve has a back log like Makergear - it takes about 4 weeks from order to delivery).

I was primarily interested in getting a 3 dimensional workspace that was computer controlled. One of the weak points of the X-carve is the basic spindle that they sell. It is very problematic and many forum members went straight to a DeWalt router instead of the Inventables spindle. Which is one of the good points of this company. As many people realized the limits of the stock spindle and expressed their desire to move to the DeWalt router, Inventables came out with a spindle mount that would fit the router within a matter of months.

So, for me the Shapeoko3 was not even in the running. Mostly due to support issues and the report on the net that the Shapeoko3 team was very small and the leader acknowledged that they were very understaffed.

I didn't look at the Shapeoko3 forum (if they have one) but I've spent a lot of time on the X-carve forum. People there are just as willing to help as the people on this forum, but they are not as knowledgeable as folks here. We're all learning together.

Most people on the forum seem to be carving wood projects, but there is a group of people that are milling 6061 Aluminum with some success. Some are using it for engraving, some for signage, some for carving foam and acrylics.

I haven't had mine long. Since I don't have a good location set up for milling yet, I have 3D printed an ink pen mount for the spindle mount so that I can test and tune my machine in the house.

It is an entry level machine and I think is a great point to start from to learn about this type of machine, but if you have heavy production ideas you might want to look at one of the more expensive machines. This allows me to test the waters and see what can be done and gives me a learning platform that has good potential without breaking the bank.

Hope this helps. If you have specific questions - send them. I'll do my best to get the answer.

Larry

chad

Post by chad » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:06 am

ednisley wrote:
Mark the Greater wrote:what would happen if you replaced the hot end with a spindle?

One word: swarf.
Also: coolant spray.

I see your swarf and raise you more swarf. :) Even scaled down to m2 size, milling makes an awful mess, not something that goes hand in hand with 3d printing.
IMG_1602.JPG
IMG_1602.JPG (176.09 KiB) Viewed 12793 times
DSC_0010.JPG
DSC_0010.JPG (190.81 KiB) Viewed 12793 times
Chad

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:44 am

chad wrote:raise you more swarf
Zowie!

Color me insane with jealousy: I only do candy-ass milling on the Sherline, with dribbly coolant and tiny chips...

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:59 am

chad wrote:...I see your swarf and raise you more swarf. :) Even scaled down to m2 size, milling makes an awful mess, not something that goes hand in hand with 3d printing. Chad
:shock: Remind me to never go for a barefoot stroll through your workshop!

(By the way Ed - i actually used your swarf word in Scrabble the other day. And of course they challenged.....heh,heh,heh,heh. :twisted:)

jsc

Post by jsc » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:10 am

Chad, future generations will discover your basement and use it as an aluminum mine.

Your pictures have significantly dampened my enthusiasm for CNC milling. Thank you.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:42 am

jsc wrote:dampened my enthusiasm for CNC milling
Sometimes it's the only hammer that will work:
http://softsolder.com/2015/04/16/silhou ... le-repair/

For most of my projects, through, an ugly lump of plastic in exactly the right shape will suffice; the Sherline doesn't get nearly the love & attention it became accustomed to in byegone days...

chad

Post by chad » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:15 am

I agree with Ed. Sometimes you just need to machine something.
I use my printer a lot for little widgets now and for quick tests of things. Then I can machine it if I need the strength, precision or thermal characteristics.
I can design and print something faster than I can get stock roughed out on the mill.
Don't let me dampen your enthusiasm for cnc! It's great fun. Those pics are extra special messes.

ED, nothing wrong with a little shirline. You can do almost everything that I can. I can just do it a little larger and faster. Having any mill is a great thing!

chad

Mark the Greater

Post by Mark the Greater » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:36 pm

No more swarf!

I've learned my lesson. No spindles on my M2. Promise!

For now...
Love Always,
MtG

lem

Post by lem » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:33 pm

I've learned my lesson. No spindles on my M2. Promise!
Oh, come on. Well how about a laser cutter? :D