Crack CNC Mill

Other stuff you would like to discuss...
Jules

Re: Crack CNC Mill

Post by Jules » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:12 am

ednisley wrote:
Jules wrote:looking up the freaking words
But it's a great word, isn't it? [evil grin]
I'm gonna keep it in my pocket for the next game of Scrabble that i get into! :D

lem

Post by lem » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:01 am

I had intended to upgrade my 3D printing capability with an M2, however, it took forever for the V4 to come out and instead of integrating it into the product it remains an upgrade, so I bought one of these https://www.inventables.com/technologies/x-carve instead.

Now I can add and subtract, just not at the same time. :)

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:04 am

lem wrote:I had intended to upgrade my 3D printing capability with an M2, however, it took forever for the V4 to come out and instead of integrating it into the product it remains an upgrade, so I bought one of these https://www.inventables.com/technologies/x-carve instead.

Now I can add and subtract, just not at the same time. :)
Yep! Seriously cool! 8-)

Mark the Greater

Post by Mark the Greater » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:12 pm

So...that's a "NO!" on zip tying a Dremel to my M2?

You know, I bet I could print some sweet swarf shields...
Love Always,
MtG

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:50 pm

Mark the Greater wrote:sweet swarf shields
Somewhere I have a picture of the Sherline gnawing away on something buried in a pile of swarf, surrounded by a cut-down milk jug as a splash shield, with coolant streaming into the frenzy and a vacuum nozzle extracting the rubble. Whatever it was came out OK, but the coolant still splashed everywhere.

A nice 3D printed shield done in magenta PETG would certainly work better... [grin]

Mark the Greater

Post by Mark the Greater » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:37 pm

I should have done more research. I had no idea there were mini mills made in the USA. I went with one from Grizzly. Now I'm sad...
Love Always,
MtG

jsc

Post by jsc » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:44 pm

This thread has me looking at mini CNC mills again (sigh). The x-carve looks to be a Shapeoko variant. lem, do you mean to say you have one, but not an M2? How do you like it?

I've looked at the Shapeokos, Sherline, and Nomad CNCs. The Nomad seems the nicest of the bunch, although it is priced accordingly. As Ed pointed out to me once, though, they all generally have < 3" of Z travel, which is not very much. I guess it depends on your use case, and I don't really have a use case....

Mark the Greater

Post by Mark the Greater » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:03 pm

jsc wrote:This thread has me looking at mini CNC mills again (sigh). The x-carve looks to be a Shapeoko variant. lem, do you mean to say you have one, but not an M2? How do you like it?

I've looked at the Shapeokos, Sherline, and Nomad CNCs. The Nomad seems the nicest of the bunch, although it is priced accordingly. As Ed pointed out to me once, though, they all generally have < 3" of Z travel, which is not very much. I guess it depends on your use case, and I don't really have a use case....

I am in the process of making one. Just bought a Smoothie board. Seems simple enough...
Love Always,
MtG

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:27 pm

I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

lem

Post by lem » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:43 pm

@jsc

Yes, I have the X-carve, no, no M2 Yet!

There was a split after the Shapeoko2. one group went to Shapeoko3. the other went to X-carve.

Be glad to discuss it with you if you have questions. This forum is probably not the best place for it. Send me a PM and we can set up a com path.

Larry