NOT PLA?

Other stuff you would like to discuss...
innkeeper

NOT PLA?

Post by innkeeper » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:29 am

Ok, i just spent a weekend scratching my head over this...i figured id share this and get input from the collective wisdom on the board and perhaps even get a laugh over it. This is one of the more unusual issues I've had printing.

I am doing a large project for myself and some friends, lots of long prints with PLA, it is a good chance for me to use up many spools of old pla that literately has been sitting around for 2-4 years and have been either sealed or stored in sealed containers with descant. I've been using a mix of brands with no issues, with some slight temperature differences as needed, and even used some new inalnd pla to round it out as i didn't quite have enough of the old stock to be able to complete everything.

all was going well until i started using one spool of orange PLA (distributed my makerbot circa 2012-13ish - yea yea i know takerbot .. but it was free) about 12 hours into a print, the extruder jammed, (stripped filament not clogged nozzle), ok bummer, but the plastic had started to literately run like water out of the nozzle. .. like it is suddenly got highly it over temp for the plastic.

my first reaction was, 'crap, temperate sensor went'... but...switching to other PLA, its fine. The temperature for the v3b was set to 212.

Subsequent test had the same issue with this spool, and ended up backing the temperature way down to do some test prints with the orange pla... its as if the composition of the plastic changed mid spool.

checking the filament itself, it is flexible like ABS, both in filament and printed form, not brittle like i am used to pla being. temps need to print are very low as well as it is hard to print with it because the gear gouges out/strips the filament so easy, easier then abs.

here is another weird fact, its soluble with acetone.
i am guessing this is not PLA or ABS, perhaps it was a manufacturing issue where they changed plastics mid spool???...anyone have a clue what kin of plastic it might really be other then just bad :) It is clearly labeled PLA on the spool.

i'm currently printing with some 2.5+ year old makergear natural pla at my original temps and it is printing just fine.
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

insta

Re: NOT PLA?

Post by insta » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:36 am

MakerBot stuff is weird. I run their PLA at 230, and kind of slow (~ 60mm/sec @ 0.1mm layers). They use some kind of blend ... up the temp, and it'll be fine. It sticks to a normal PLA-prepped bed.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:02 am

what your saying is exactly what i would have expected...from all that i read, needing higher temps, however i printed 12 hours before it started doing this, with no issues at about 212, so very strange.

after that, i could not go above 200 without it literately turning water like.
there is something very strange going on with this particular spool
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

insta

Post by insta » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:06 am

innkeeper wrote:what your saying is exactly what i would have expected...from all that i read, needing higher temps, however i printed 12 hours before it started doing this, with no issues at about 212, so very strange.

after that, i could not go above 200 without it literately turning water like.
there is something very strange going on with this particular spool
plastic's cheap, throw it out.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:38 am

maybe i can use it on my weed wacker :lol: