educate me on the error of my ways!

Other stuff you would like to discuss...
do-it-for-science-

educate me on the error of my ways!

Post by do-it-for-science- » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:24 am

I recently submitted a recommendation report (link at bottom) for consideration to a person considering the purchase of a printer and was informed by another soul that my report was rife with errors on the makergear. This kind soul suggested that I submit it here and allow you kind people to educate me.
so I ask you, tear my report apart. tell me what I got wrong or failed to include.
thank you.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2FjA- ... sp=sharing

rpollack

Re: educate me on the error of my ways!

Post by rpollack » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:02 am

The first disadvantage listed for the M2

"Virtually nonexistent online community of users."

If you feel like responding...

lem

Post by lem » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:30 am

Withdrawn.
Last edited by lem on Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:40 am

few points that you should check....
m2 does have mutli head support.
m2 has an all metal hotend, the v4, available, that supports high temperature filaments
stand alone printing possible with optional lcd.
??? almost non exsistant community support... surely your jesting.

additional durability points:
its not made like an erector set extruded parts or having plastic frame parts. all frame parts are stainless steal or aluminum, it is designed from the ground up to be a very robust printer, purposely designed for heavy use.
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

lem

Post by lem » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:53 am

Ok, I had to butt in.

I sent him an e-mail and said a few words about his M2 disadvantages. I was nice, but pointed out that his research was a little off. Hopefully he will get the e-mail and at least revise his report to reflect the facts.

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:13 am

Well, i'm impressed he came and asked.
at least he realized his information may not have been accurate or up to date.
whether or not an m2 is right for his situation is another matter, but at least an informed decision can be made with the correct facts.
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

lem

Post by lem » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:57 pm

Well, i'm impressed he came and asked.
Agree.

thunderbt3

Post by thunderbt3 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:27 pm

The report is biased. According to the Lulzbot forum, the author owns a Kittaz along with a previous generation Lulzbot printer. The author has been active on the Lulzbot forum since February of this year.

I’m not sure I would trust productchart.com. The prices are live updated via Amazon, but I don’t think the content is updated very often. It states on their website that it participates in Amazon’s affiliate advertising program in order to generate revenue for the website.

That being said, I'm impressed he came over to get a counterpoint on his report.

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:24 pm

1. Virtually nonexistent online community of users. .......Wrong. ;)

2. Smallest printing volume of the three printers reviewed by 142 cm^2.....Correct.

3. Hot end does not get hot enough to print in nylon, polycarbonate or many of the other high strength plastics.....Wrong. Outdated. The V4 nozzle which comes standard on currently shipping M2's, handles all filaments, including polycarb, easily. The Filaments forum here discusses experiments and successes with all filaments.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1951

4. No multi head printing ability....Wrong. Dual Extruders are currently available as a kit upgrade for an additional $300 over the base price. (And worth it.)
If you're purchasing multiples of these for lab use, I would recommend keeping one as a single and using the others as duals if desired. (It's just a lot easier for beginners to learn to use a 3D printer with a single extruder first.)

Dual print.jpg
viewforum.php?f=13

5. Here's how confident i am about this machine, because I have abused it in every way possible for a beginner to do so, and it has not missed a step.....since you are thinking of buying multiple machines, buy one of each: an M2 and a Taz. See which one gives you fewer problems over a year's time, then fill your stable.[/color] :D

do-it-for-science-

Post by do-it-for-science- » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:28 pm

thank you all for your courteous and informative responses, I was rushed and having a hard time finding the information on the MakerGear main site. I will indeed revise my report to reflect the truth of the matter. on that note do any of you have any other advantages or disadvantages you would have included in the analysis of the M2 or the other printers?