Got kicked from the 3D printing FB group last night

Other stuff you would like to discuss...
willnewton

Got kicked from the 3D printing FB group last night

Post by willnewton » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:01 pm

I suppose a few of you are on the big 3D printing Facebook group. If so, you may have seen last night's post by one of the admins, Benjamin Kentopp. He ranted on against S3D for not delivering his registration within 20 minutes of his purchase.

This is an issue that is posted about in that group every few weeks. It is always a technical glitch that gets resolved and life goes on. The majority of FDM printer guys there are S3D users and know that they offer good product and support. Yet Kentopp, who should have seen dozens of posts exactly like his own, since it occurs often in a group he admins, would be more understanding.

WELL, apparently he did not like it when I and others pointed this out to him. Even though I broke no forum rules in my post and have only posted constructive comments since being a member, I was booted by this man-baby of an admin along with many other regular members.

I have contacted the groups founder with my comments about his admin's behavior and am curious to see how it turns out.

My opinion is that if you knowingly post such inflammatory comments, you should be able to stand the flames.
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

Jules

Re: Got kicked from the 3D printing FB group last night

Post by Jules » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:36 pm

Nope, don't do Facebook. (Crap like that is one of the reasons why.)

Sucks. Sorry to hear it. :evil:

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:30 pm

In a strange and wonderful twist, I have been re-accepted and the post that started the trouble has been removed! Yay!

Jules, I understand the FB aversion. Initially, I was excited to reunite with old friends and then it became weird to see how folks have changed or never changed. It even led to me unfriending my sister, but only so we could remain superbuddies in real life.

Lately though it has become much more of a hub to keep track of the goings on in my interests. I no longer have to monitor dozens of groups, just see what's up on FB. For 3D printing, I only follow the MG forum site, thingiverse and the FB group, along with the odd tech blog post. It's gotten to where friends are sending me news about cool printing too. I kinda like it.

Same for electric bikes, homebrewing, and R/C stuff. I am in multiple groups on each of these topics and am the admin of our local homebrewing FB group. I can monitor a wide sea of information and then go to a website from there if I want to dig deeper.

There are definitely some benefits and drawbacks. I was considering this topic a few days ago, and thinking what it might be like if I had NO FB friends, only hobbies and interests piped in. I figured it would be pretty sweet, since it is user generated content, which can totally eclipse commercial content in quality and quantity. Much like the MG forum itself, which is greater than the sum of its parts.

In general FB is OK, with the occasional flare up. I have really pared down my friends list and the people I follow. I am much more discriminating now about my own postings as well. ;)

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:58 pm

Ahem......i might have been a bit of a wild child in my early years. (At the time, a rather naive girl in a man's world, yadda, yadda, yadda.)

Despite my best efforts to live it down, damned if they didn't keep finding me. And some people think it's really clever to trot out your shenanigans to your husband. (With you standing right there, no less!) :shock:

Had to rethink the whole Facebook thing. Even though he knows more than they do about my past cock-ups, I didn't always appreciate the "friendly" reminders. :lol:
Last edited by Jules on Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:18 am

yeah i have a facebook acct that i started years ago simply because my marketing guy said to so it would be linked into my website. in 4 years i have logged onto it maybe 6 times. i absolutely refuse to log on anymore. i dont care what is happening or what kind of news someone posts on there i will not log onto the acct. imo its pretty much the devil. almost nothing good can come from everyone being all up in everyones business. the whole social media thing should be outlawed somehow. just my opinion. everyone is on that stuff and i know it will never die and i should just give in but damn if i can do it. im stuck under a rock i know. :lol:

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:39 am

My wife and I always had pretty positive business results from Facebook, but that is where a large majority of our customers hung out. We would often sell items within hours of posting pictures or get calls for work due to the attention.

We owned a small jewelry store and made 90% of the inventory (other than estate jewelry) ourselves and we were the only two employees. As a customer you could make a very personal connection to the business, because you always dealt with the owner, so FB was a great place for us. It was not our only form of advertising, but it was one of the few we knew always worked and our out of pocket cost was $0.00

We definitely made efforts to keep work and business separate. My wife even changed her FB name so she could post freely without being directly connected to the store (which was named after her) and very seldom was a customer a personal FB friend, unless we knew them outside the store.

It is interesting to note that my teen daughter does not have or want a FB account. She regards it much the way I regard MySpace and AOL. Likewise, I have little interest in joining Twitter, Snapchat, Tumblr, Kik, etc.

There are few enough hours in the day and it is too valuable to be spent staring at glowing rectangles unless they are providing information to satisfy a thirsty brain whose only desire is to know how to set up self-leveling on a printer! :lol:

Jules

Post by Jules » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:19 am

I might rethink it if i was trying to run a business.....nowadays you just can't afford to ignore the business impact a good FB account gives you.

But it scares me to death to see the stuff my young nieces and nephews post....that sh*t's gonna come back to haunt them one day when they try to find a job in some profession that expects any modicum of maturity.

(Since they'll probably all wind up in the entertainment field, i need to quit worrying so much. That kind of garbage is like a gold pass. :lol: )

ajmadison

Post by ajmadison » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:54 pm

I've been involved with the internet since the early days. No, not on Darpanet but I was sending e-mail and reading usenet news postings before there was even AOL. Indeed, there was a time when may of us "old timers" bemoaned the vast influx of freshmen in college universities posting gibberish or starting flame wars until it was finally beaten into them mid fall semester/quarter/session the first amendment does not protect all speech.

With that said, Social Networking is a tool. I was actually a late comer to facebook, because similar to willnewton, I could get what I wanted from smaller self contained communities, and felt no need for facebook. Facebook can be a very powerful tool, or it can be a brute force tool, but its still a tool and you get out of it what you put into it. But the other thing to keep in mind, any media is subject to the lowest common denominator. I've seen people complain about the lack of intelligent conversation on facebook. Well, yea, depends upon the community in question. Thanks to 'like' and 'group' pages and a filtered newsfeed, its no longer one giant community with everyone of your 'friends' slogging through everything you do and vice versa. And to get back to my first paragraph, there are still jerks, many in positions of power, on the internet, including FB.

But its the internet, once its posted, its up forever, even if the venue in question claims its transitory.

jsc

Post by jsc » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:09 am

This is what I'm teaching my children: https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/07/08