Where are native leafy trees in the USA?

Other stuff you would like to discuss...
swbluto

Where are native leafy trees in the USA?

Post by swbluto » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:18 pm

I'm on the west coast and the native tree species here seems to be pine needle trees (Douglas fir in my area, Noble firs in Seattle). Same with oregon. I thought the east coast would have leafy trees, but I was in the Southeast for a year and found the same thing: Pine trees everywhere! Is there anywhere in North America where leafy trees are the dominant native species? I only seem to find them in parks and cities, where they obviously were planted there to begin with.

innkeeper

Re: Where are native leafy trees in the USA?

Post by innkeeper » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:09 am

plenty of leafy trees in NY. The state tree is the sugar maple. but there are plenty of other spices here. in fact, its rare for me to see a pine tree.
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

Tim

Post by Tim » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:39 am

Here in Maryland the dominant species is the tulip poplar. Also maple, oak, cherry, beech, sycamore, and walnut. It takes me two full days of non-stop raking to clear it all off the grass on my property in the fall, and about a week to recover from the experience. I have a few cedar trees but they struggle to grow because they are heavily over-shaded by the massive tulip poplars. One lone loblolly pine is the only significant evergreen on the property (I imported several more from the neighboring yard before they could get plowed over by the developer).

Go up along Skyline Drive in Shenandoah National Park in Virginia at just the right time in mid-October, and if you can survive the crowds and hike to the top of Old Rag or Sharp Top or one of the other local peaks, you can see nothing but red and yellow and orange as far as the eye can see. It is a beautiful and inspiring view. Or at least once you've finally found a parking space and managed to hike well away from most of the day-trippers, it's beautiful and inspiring.

swbluto

Post by swbluto » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:29 am

Aha, totally suspected they were indigeneous to the northeast, one place I've never been to. Okay, that's reassuring they weren't just all imported from foreign lands at one time or another.

The southeast certainly did have interesting trees that I've never seen on the West coast. Spanish moss trees are definitely one of my favorites, now. :D (Ranks up there with Willow trees and eucalyptus trees that are common in California. Or maybe it's just an air force base thing?)

There were gravel roads near my area that looked just like this (The trees weren't as neatly lined up, but the canopy over the gravel road was much the same.).