AON

Other stuff you would like to discuss...
PcS

AON

Post by PcS » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:21 pm

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ao ... d-printing

Wow !!! notice the makergear in this campaign !!! ????

Tim

Re: AON

Post by Tim » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:11 pm

Hmm, bullet-proof construction. I wonder who they think will be shooting at it?

But hey, look, ditto printing! My new setup can do that, too. Although they say "each extruder can be loaded with a different color filament" (true) "or an entirely different material altogether" (not so true). For example, how are you going to start a ditto print with PLA on one side (60 degree bed) and PETg on the other (90 degree bed)? Splitting the difference at 75 might work, but it's not going to be ideal conditions for either one.

The picture of the MakerGear M2 sitting on their platform---I suppose that means that they used the M2 to build all their parts? In which case their caption "Need to print a printer" is ironic---you need the M2 to print the AON, not the other way around.

Jules

Post by Jules » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:11 pm

Yeah, I think i prefer Tim's setup. (Smaller, hell of a lot cheaper, and i don't need a bullet proof machine........yet.) :lol:

sthone

Post by sthone » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:30 pm

Bigger is not always better... I'd need another room on my house just to be able to use that thing it's so big. Plus.. yeah you can print bigger but it's also going to take a week to finish. No thanks... :|

-Steve

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:25 pm

I like it.

This machine would be an asset to anyone that is printing in a production environment, just for the build size alone if nothing else. Then when you consider the heated chamber, extreme temp hot ends, liquid cooled components, and the semi-independent dual extrusion, its a real winner for guys that are taking on contract print jobs as it will easily set their capabilities apart from what most people offer.

Of course all of these attributes really only matter if the machine can perform well and doesn't require a lot of attention to produce quality prints....

Tim

Post by Tim » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:50 pm

Farr0wn3d wrote:This machine would be an asset to anyone that is printing in a production environment, just for the build size alone if nothing else. Then when you consider the heated chamber, extreme temp hot ends, liquid cooled components, and the semi-independent dual extrusion, its a real winner for guys that are taking on contract print jobs as it will easily set their capabilities apart from what most people offer.
But I'm trying to tell everybody. . . I put semi-independent dual extrusion on the M2! (I really need to set up ditto printing some time soon and post videos. . .).

If I want liquid-cooled components, I'll put an ice pack on it.

Actually, a huge build volume is nice, but you wouldn't want to do it with a 0.35mm nozzle. I was impressed with some of the huge print areas I saw on some experimental machines at last year's World Maker Faire. Once of them wasn't even using filament, it was sucking plastic nurdles out of a barrel with a shop vac and throwing them into a melt chamber. That thing was impressive.

Farr0wn3d

Post by Farr0wn3d » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:08 pm

I think guys get a little anxious when they think of a massive build chamber combined with a smaller nozzle...

The way I see it is, a massive build chamber is just more capability and you can use it however you see fit. so if you wanna continue to print smaller items at a smaller nozzle size, go for it, and if you wanna print larger items with a larger nozzle, then you certainly can! and if a customer needs something enormous but wants fine detail and a fine nozzle and is willing to pay for it, then fuck it, print for 6 days straight and charge accordingly...

you're only limited as far as your mechanical limitations go. just because you have a massive build volume, that doesnt mean you have to print with a specific nozzle size, just means you have more choices in terms of production parameters/capabilities. I for one, get a lots of my print jobs simply because my build volume is a bit larger than others, and because I print it materials other than PLA and ABS.

Setting yourself apart from the pack in terms of print capabilities is never a bad thing IMO

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:44 pm

Yeah, bigger makes me weary. maximizing the M2 build volume will put you at 48 hours of printing...

What I'm interested in is that watercooled heat break. I want!
(okay really a V4 would fix my heat break needs.)

PcS

Post by PcS » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:40 pm

Print time has never been a deal breaker for me. I honestly believe if maker gear offered a mini m2 and a larger variant it could increase sales for them. The only reason I even looked at a Taz 5 before getting my m2 was the larger build volume and they did not offer a kit at that time. I wanted to assemble my printer even if it was just some of it. I plan on building my next one from scratch. The M2 has taught me a lot.

insta

Post by insta » Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:30 am

Matt_Sharkey wrote:Yeah, bigger makes me weary. maximizing the M2 build volume will put you at 48 hours of printing...

What I'm interested in is that watercooled heat break. I want!
(okay really a V4 would fix my heat break needs.)
Uh excuse me Matt, maximizing the M2's build volume with an enormous paving stone of a part (30% infill though, gotta be frugal) will crash simplify3d.

The next time you run it it will then run for 84 hours, and use 6.5lb of filament and crash simplify3d again.

:geek:
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org