AON

Other stuff you would like to discuss...
Rara

Re: AON

Post by Rara » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:42 pm

I print big stuff here and there - I'd rather wait a week and have it come out in one piece, than sand-fit-glue together several pieces over a week. I'd use the hell out of that build volume! Small parts shouldn't take any longer, but it'd sure be nice to have the capacity available.

But S3D crashing with large models? I've never had an issue with things that pushed the build volume..actually to experiment I just scaled up my last job to be enormous (1400x800x600mm) with an overly-detailed OBJ at 99MB: 2000 layers, 4300 hours or about 6 months of print time, 146 pounds of filament, 236mb gcode...it only took a couple minutes to slice, probably 5 minutes +/- to save the paths (using 20GB RAM throughout!), and the preview window is ultra-laggy; but, it did lug through it. Would I expect problems/errors if I actually tried to print this then?
2012 M2 V4-PTFE

sthone

Post by sthone » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:28 pm

6 months of print time... :shock: no you shouldn't have any problems... that should print fine the first time without any issues :roll: as long as you're around for all 70+ filament spool changes, don't have any jams, mechanical failures, power outages, or vacations planned. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rara

Post by Rara » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:37 pm

Haha, well it was more to see if it would crash or not...I remember being kind of surprised that it was able to handle a 146MB .STL file of a full size car scan a couple years ago..took a few days but the scaled down print went smoothly (probably ~9.5" along the Y axis).
2012 M2 V4-PTFE

sthone

Post by sthone » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:17 pm

I bet it helps if you have a good computer also... I'm running an old duel core my S3D crashes a lot or takes a really long time if I try any of the repair functions.

-Steve

Rara

Post by Rara » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:42 pm

Ahhhh. Yeah I use an old Thinkpad T60p to run the printer but as it got more advanced, S3D started running really poorly on it, I just stopped using it all together and went back to Pronterface. My desktop has a few more ponies under the hood though.. ;)
2012 M2 V4-PTFE