How long can you keep filament

Other stuff you would like to discuss...
Cyber_Gram

How long can you keep filament

Post by Cyber_Gram » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:27 pm

I am planning on buying a lot of filament so I can open up a 3D Hubs hub.
How long before filament goes bad when properly stored? (In a sealed container with rice at the bottom)
The filaments I would buy would be PLA, ABS, Nylon, and Ninjaflex.

Thanks for your help!
-Cyber_Gram

Bratag

Re: How long can you keep filament

Post by Bratag » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:43 pm

Cyber_Gram wrote:I am planning on buying a lot of filament so I can open up a 3D Hubs hub.
How long before filament goes bad when properly stored? (In a sealed container with rice at the bottom)

Thanks for your help!
-Cyber_Gram
Ive had well stored filament for well over a year. Pretty sure however rice is not the way to go. Better to use silica gel or the damp-rid stuff in an airtight container. There was a thread here somewhere discussing the rice viability. Keep in mind the air tight container will only stop moisture getting to the filament - it wont necessarily draw it out. For that you need a low bake in an oven. This is yet another reason I love PET - that stuff hates water (unlike PLA) and you can leave it out with no worries.

Cyber_Gram

Post by Cyber_Gram » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:58 pm

Bratag wrote:
Cyber_Gram wrote:I am planning on buying a lot of filament so I can open up a 3D Hubs hub.

Thanks for your help!
-Cyber_Gram
Ive had well stored filament for well over a year. Pretty sure however rice is not the way to go. Better to use silica gel or the damp-rid stuff in an airtight container. There was a thread here somewhere discussing the rice viability. Keep in mind the air tight container will only stop moisture getting to the filament - it wont necessarily draw it out. For that you need a low bake in an oven. This is yet another reason I love PET - that stuff hates water (unlike PLA) and you can leave it out with no worries.
Okay, thanks for your help :)
Have any recommendations for filament brands? (Not too expensive)

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:09 pm

Cyber_Gram wrote: Have any recommendations for filament brands? (Not too expensive)
MakerGear PLA is great. Only go with other brands when you can't get the color you need, or if you're looking for exotic types of PLA like wood or copper fill.

A lot of us get eSUN brand PETg from William at intservo.com. He's very friendly and occasionally posts special discount codes for us on the forum.

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:11 pm

MG PLA is good stuff, the black is my gold standard of how a filament should perform.

I like the Esun PETG as well, as I do not print ABS. I have just tried some Hatchbox white PLA and it was very nice as well.

Before you order too much filament, make sure you have some demand for it and also make sure you enjoy providing prints for other folks. 3dhubs seems to be a bit hit or miss depending on area demand and competition. Also, some print providers get fed up with the low profit and problematic customers not making it worth their while. Start small and you can always grow into it.
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

Slipshine

Post by Slipshine » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:23 pm

If your going to use pla be sure to store it out of sunlight as it will photo degrade. I have a couple of rolls that are 3 years old and still work but are starting to get brittle. A friend dicided to store some on a window sill so the sun would keep the moisture out. 5 months later it was so brittle it was un useable.

innkeeper

Post by innkeeper » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:26 pm

for the most part, if you can keep your filament stored at relatively low humidity, it will last a while... i have filament that 3 years old, that i recently used... and it was all good.

i've had filament break down in less time... and i think it has noting to do with the storage temperature, but more to do with the chemical makeup... i had some older makerbot abs that basicly degraded as it sat...when i went to use it it would turn almost water like very odd...
M2 - MKS SBase w Smoothieware, GLCD, 24v, Upg Z & extruder stepper - IR bed leveling, Astrosyn dampers X/Y/Z, MIC 6, Zebra, PEI, & glass Build Plates - E3D, V3B Hotends, & more - many other 3d printers - production printing.

Bluesoulx12

Post by Bluesoulx12 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:20 am

I've got 2 year old filament, still works great. MG PLA is still holding up really well that came with the printer. I'm on 3D Hubs and I rarely ever get jobs (once a month), but then again I am not located in a large city.

MairaWeil

Post by MairaWeil » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:19 am

I was using my for 4 years before it completely broke down.

insta

Post by insta » Mon May 01, 2017 6:37 pm

Thanks for your help!
-Cyber_Gram
What other research have you done about running a hub, before you drop a lot of money on filament?
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org