Anybody got an ark handy?

Other stuff you would like to discuss...
jsc

Re: Anybody got an ark handy?

Post by jsc » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:47 am

Yikes, Jules. Hope you're okay. That level of flooding is horrific, as in write off everything on the first floor/entire house terrible. Hope you're above the water line.

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:25 pm

Thanks Jin, I'm doing okay (hubs is off in Dallas), and the projected additional rain for last night was less than expected in this area (thank God) so we didn't get any water in the house. (The kitty room off the back of the garage has become a sunken living room, so they are now getting the run of the garage and the opportunity to pee all over the car tires.....their favorite pastime. :lol: )

Gonna be a mess to clean up, but no little downed animals to rescue (so far), no immediate neighbors in a bind, power's still on here, and the flood waters are receding so we can now get out of the neighborhood if we have to. I'm just sitting tight.

We get the potential for flooding every spring, and normally don't pay much attention to it, but this area has really gotten developed over the last few years, (more concrete - less area for water to drain off), and this was a five hundred year monster storm, and set the new record. Billions of gallons of water fell.

Oddly enough, the newspaper with the best coverage of the storm is the Daily Mail....the pictures of the horse rescues is in our area - about a mile away. All the horses from that riding academy were saved. There are some horses pastured in the field behind our house.....I don't see any bodies.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -HOUR.html

Mach

Post by Mach » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:52 pm

We were ok on the west side. Water in the streets but haven't heard of any neighbors with water in their house. I noticed that everyone did move their cars to their driveways when the rain got bad. Lesson learned from the memorial day flooding when all the cars were under 2 ft of water.

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:34 pm

Mach wrote:We were ok on the west side. Water in the streets but haven't heard of any neighbors with water in their house. I noticed that everyone did move their cars to their driveways when the rain got bad. Lesson learned from the memorial day flooding when all the cars were under 2 ft of water.
You a "local" Mach? Whereabouts are you? (Sugarland? Katy? Tomball?) Just wondering how bad it got in other areas - some spots in the Cypress area got nailed this time, but it seems to be different every time there's a rain. We had water in the streets too, and a severely flooded back yard, but that area usually floods, so we're used to it by now. :roll:

Mach

Post by Mach » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:43 pm

We didn't get it too bad. Yes, I'm south of I-10, north of westheimer, and west of beltway 8. We had 2-3 feet in the street cul-de-sac and 8 inches in the back yard when the drains couldn't keep up but when the rain relented, it went down within a couple of hours. I need to check on my friends in Tomball. I hear they got slammed.

Jules

Post by Jules » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:58 pm

Ironic....They were scheduled to start improving the drains at the main road of our sub on Monday (the morning after the storm)....timing is everything! :lol:

Mach

Post by Mach » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:16 pm

Their doing the same thing on this side of town too. I'm betting there will be a lot more people at the planning committee meetings now :)