Decoupage

Other stuff you would like to discuss...
jsc

Decoupage

Post by jsc » Sun May 08, 2016 10:13 pm

I bought some Mod Podge to try it out as a surface treatment for 3D printing. It wasn't very successful as I attempted it on a sculptural print with a lot of nooks and crannies where it tended to collect. I think it would work better for flat surfaced models, but it ends up with a brushed texture so I'm giving up on that.

Then I decided to give it a go with its traditional use in découpage, or "the craft of gluing paper onto things". It gives an interesting look to planar prints where it can be applied. Here's my result; note that it is my very first try at this, I made a lot of mistakes and it's not the best example of the craft.
Attachments
IMG_0600.jpg

Jules

Re: Decoupage

Post by Jules » Sun May 08, 2016 10:38 pm

I like that....does the box open? :)

jsc

Post by jsc » Sun May 08, 2016 10:45 pm

Yes, it does open, the model is this one: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:9602

I thought I would be clever and do the sides as one big loop, then split the seam afterwards. I left one side unsealed before attempting the split and that frayed the edge rather badly, so I think this box is going to be chalked up as a learning experience.

The hardest part is cutting the paper to size accurately. I was thinking that with a craft cutter (or Glowforge, come winter!) you could get some impressive results, like inlaid embosses.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun May 08, 2016 10:49 pm

jsc wrote:Yes, it does open, the model is this one: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:9602

I thought I would be clever and do the sides as one big loop, then split the seam afterwards. I left one side unsealed before attempting the split and that frayed the edge rather badly, so I think this box is going to be chalked up as a learning experience.

The hardest part is cutting the paper to size accurately. I was thinking that with a craft cutter (or Glowforge, come winter!) you could get some impressive results, like inlaid embosses.
Wait second - did you decoupage a printed box!?! :shock:

jsc

Post by jsc » Sun May 08, 2016 10:53 pm

Where else am I going to get a cheap box to mess up?

Some stuff I read seems to indicate that it doesn't really work great on certain plastics, but PLA seems to work fine.

Jules

Post by Jules » Sun May 08, 2016 10:57 pm

Whoa.....that opens up some serious possibilities! i thought that was one of those little chipboard ones that they charge you 6 bucks for at the hobby stores....... Awesome! :D

I didn't think the glue would stick to plastic at all.

jimc

Post by jimc » Mon May 09, 2016 1:47 am

very interesting and a good job. actually now i want to try gold leafing a print.

jsc

Post by jsc » Thu May 12, 2016 8:48 pm

Jules, now I read that Cricuts (and I presume other similar craft cutters) are capable of cutting wood veneers. Wooden inlay on a curved surface? Maybe a faux wood front panel on your battery boxes? Maybe some slats for your barrel, although that might be incredibly finicky.

insta

Post by insta » Thu May 12, 2016 9:51 pm

Jules wrote:Whoa.....that opens up some serious possibilities! i thought that was one of those little chipboard ones that they charge you 6 bucks for at the hobby stores....... Awesome! :D

I didn't think the glue would stick to plastic at all.
Spray adhesive works well. PLA is very friendly.
Custom 3D printing for you or your business -- quote [at] pingring.org

Jules

Post by Jules » Thu May 12, 2016 9:53 pm

jsc wrote:Jules, now I read that Cricuts (and I presume other similar craft cutters) are capable of cutting wood veneers. Wooden inlay on a curved surface? Maybe a faux wood front panel on your battery boxes? Maybe some slats for your barrel, although that might be incredibly finicky.
Definitely planning to look into it with the Glowforge when it comes, and i have cut very thin veneers and sheet balsa wood with the Gazelle cutter (and the ScrapSavvy before that), but you're extremely limited in what you can cut out of veneers with a blade - they tend to split very easily, and you can't always get all the way through the adhesive if it is heavy. (Not to mention...it ruins the eight dollar blade, and rapidly gets to be too expensive.)

Now laser on the other hand...... 8-)

Have you looked at the stuff people are doing over on the GF forum? Some of those projects are incredible....there are some real artists over there. (Check out the Laser Made forum.) :D