What solid modeler does Makergear use?

Other stuff you would like to discuss...
zemlin

What solid modeler does Makergear use?

Post by zemlin » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:09 pm

As I've reverse engineered a couple of Makergear printed parts, I've found inconsistent dimensions, weird tapers/drafts in areas where it is not needed or helpful. It's made me curious about the solid modeling software being used by Makergear folks.

What I've found doesn't impact functionality of the equipment so my intent is not to be critical. I'm just curious because it's not what I would expect to see in 3D CAD programs I've used over the years. Geometry doesn't appear be dimension driven, but more like free-form modeling.

The weirdest part was the single extruder wire harness shroud up top that I used as the starting point for my dual wiring shroud. Pockets that could have been identical to house the same connector were not the same by any stretch.

jferguson

Re: What solid modeler does Makergear use?

Post by jferguson » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:44 am

interesting question. I tried to reverse engineer some parts for a 3d printed r/c aircraft. I only had their stl files. I couldn't find any that seemed based on real dimensions- they would have been metric. I finally gave up and modeled my own.