Changed film on glass plate, now prints have gone wonky.

The place to discuss the M3-SE
greyhunter1122

Changed film on glass plate, now prints have gone wonky.

Post by greyhunter1122 » Mon May 18, 2020 7:42 pm

https://imgur.com/a/bL2XDpL

Hey everyone, I have a MakerGear M3-SE that's about 2.5 years old. Fairly well maintained, though not used extremely often (maybe 2 or 3 times a month, but bigger prints).

Recently, the film on the glass bed started to tear off with the prints, so I replaced it with a new one direct from MakerGear. At the same time, I found that the auto-level probe had bent a bit, so I went through a cycle of bed leveling and z-probe adjustments. Everything appears to be dialed in per the maintenance test in the MakerGear version of Octoprint.

When I went to print some face mask extenders, the first layer isn't laying down like it used to and I'm not sure why. With PLA, I tried the hotend at 220 and 210 degrees (the first is what the maintenance software automatically uses, the second is what I usually print with), with the bed at multiple temps from 50 to 70 degrees, but everything ends up like in the imgur gallery.

Any suggestions for what could be causing it? Other than the temperature, every other setting is the exact same as before I changed the film and it was printing great then. Would a bent but otherwise fine z-probe cause issues like this suddenly?

airscapes

Re: Changed film on glass plate, now prints have gone wonky.

Post by airscapes » Mon May 18, 2020 10:33 pm

In order of most likely, Z offset too high, nozzle partially clogged, Filament drive slipping, all assuming same gcode that printer correctly before you messed with the glass as you said nothing changed.

ednisley

Re: Changed film on glass plate, now prints have gone wonky.

Post by ednisley » Tue May 19, 2020 12:55 pm

greyhunter1122 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:42 pm
replaced it with a new one
Have you scrupulously cleaned the new film with, say, denatured alcohol / acetone? The least little film of anything will wreck first-layer adhesion.

Rubbing alcohol & suchlike may have additives that look a lot like oil to a 3D printer, so make sure the "solvent" isn't creating the problem. Somebody at the local makerspace used a bottle of finger-friendly nail polish remover on the printer and the Kapton film just never worked quite right after that …