MAKERGEAR M3-ID reviews

The place to discuss the M3-ID
jslick_007

Re: MAKERGEAR M3-ID reviews

Post by jslick_007 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:14 am

Guess I should have read that part about when the page is last updated. No biggie, getting a MIC6 sheet of aluminum sized properly is the first step! I assume I'd just need to add a PEI sheet on top?

crimsonstone

Post by crimsonstone » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:44 pm

A coffee mug?! Love you guys.

Just received my M3-ID last night and went through calibration (dead easy; very nice job!). Spent a couple vacation days to stay home today/tomorrow and get to know the printer and Octoprint. Benchy's currently printing and looking good so far.

I've got a sheet of PEI laying around and I'll probably end up going that route, but the Kapton is doing a fine job with the in-box PLA so far.

I knew my Rostock Max v2 is noisy, but the relative low volume from the M3 was a genuine surprise. Last night's calibration didn't wake up the sleeping baby, but I don't think the wife appreciated gambling on it. :twisted:

Cheers!

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:44 pm

That's what I did, ordered a bare aluminum plate from insta, and glued the PEI to it. It is the best printing surface I have ever worked with.

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:20 pm

Tim wrote:That's what I did, ordered a bare aluminum plate from insta, and glued the PEI to it. It is the best printing surface I have ever worked with.
What kind of glue did you use?

Tim

Post by Tim » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:09 pm

I got a roll of high-temperature double-sided sticky tape, which was a bit tricky to put down because it comes in widths of a couple of inches and needs to be laid down in strips. Keeping it from wrinkling is a pain. I ended up with it being almost perfect except for a wrinkle at the far back edge of the plate, so I called it good enough. But it works quite well.

I got both items from Amazon. The PEI sheet I got is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013 ... UTF8&psc=1

And the sticky tape I got is this one (3M brand 468 MP):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Y ... UTF8&psc=1

(edit)

I should add that the worst thing about the tape is that it wants to stick to itself at the edges of the roll, which is how it ends up getting wrinkled in the first place. Unroll the tape slowly and carefully.

Mazhdulin

Post by Mazhdulin » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:34 pm

I have actually found a review for the m3 ID.
https://www.drdflo.com/top-3d-printers/
It gets picked as the best printer here. Good news as I'm buying one in december

jslick_007

Post by jslick_007 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:42 pm

I'm not sure it qualifies as a review if you haven't actually got one in your hands and have tested it. That said, I do love my M3-ID and it sees a heck of a lot more action these days than my Prusa i3 Mk2s and Mk2/MMU which are now in my garage, with the M3ID taking the coveted space in my office. I think you'll love it too!

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:36 pm

Tim wrote:I got a roll of high-temperature double-sided sticky tape ...
OK. That's the same stuff I use, except I get it in a full sheet to cover the entire plate with one piece.
Over time that stuff will lose its stick and need to be replaced. This also results in a less-than-flat build surface. Ends up being a bit of an acetone party to get things cleaned off for a fresh sheet.

I have thought that some sort of high-temp epoxy might be worth a shot, but one would probably need some heavier/stronger precision flat plates for clamping the sheet to the aluminum while the adhesive cures.

I haven't gone there because I haven't wanted to invest in thicker MIC6 plates just to use them for clamping. Maybe someday.

Tim

Post by Tim » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:35 pm

zemlin wrote:Over time that stuff will lose its stick and need to be replaced. This also results in a less-than-flat build surface. Ends up being a bit of an acetone party to get things cleaned off for a fresh sheet.
Is this maybe related to the amount of temperature cycling, or have I just not used it that much. I've had the MIC plate and PEI surface for around a year or so, but I am not an especially heavy user of the M2. I also always take pieces off with a razor blade so as to never stress the tape by pulling hard on it. Any of those points may account for the fact that I've had no issues with the PEI adhesion.

zemlin

Post by zemlin » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:28 pm

I've run a lot of heavy ABS parts that can give that adhesive a pretty good tug trying to keep things flat - that and maybe the amount of cycling.
The plate i have now that needs to be redone has run a lot of parts at 100C.