The "new" M3-ID build volume

The place to discuss the M3-ID
kafklatsch

The "new" M3-ID build volume

Post by kafklatsch » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:19 pm

I have been the happy owner of an M2 for several years. The printer is second to none and the Maker gear teams performance rivals the M2 printer performance... but for the life of me I don't understand how makergear went thru the entire development process and then released the same build volume. I am really sad by this.. I was anticipating at least a 12 inch box build volume. I love the company but I am just perplexed by this. I wouldn't dare upgrade to an entire new machine with the same old build volume. bummed...

sthone

Re: The "new" M3-ID build volume

Post by sthone » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:46 pm

It's simple... they are adding new features/improvements to their already rock solid design. They are able to use the same frame and a lot of other components of the M2 but at the same time add new features that you wouldn't be able to just add to the stock M2 and call it an upgrade. Thus they are basically creating a new model without the added overhead and time of a whole new development/testing process. Doing it this way allows them to stay current in the ever changing market place and attract new customers who are currently looking for the latest and greatest.

Stick around though because before you get too bummed out know they are at the same time working on the M4 which will have a 12"x12"x12" build volume.

rs50pilot

Re: The "new" M3-ID build volume

Post by rs50pilot » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:11 am

I am kinda with you on this one. I have a rostock max V1. It has the potential to print really big parts. I just got my M3ID. We know how big the volume is. For me I have never had a reason to print anything over 6 inches tall. I use my printer to make parts for sale. So I got the ID to "double" my print speed. I think it really matters on what you are doing with your machine.

However if the M4 has a 12 cube build volume and all the same features as the M3ID and is the same price then I would be a little pissed:)