Page 1 of 1

my first dual color print

Posted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:40 am
by Umburry
Wanted to share my 1st dual material part print. Was very easy to do. Just used the standard PLA profile provided by maker gear. Enabled prime tower in S3D. I don't think the tower was necessary, when the tool heads switched they started in the infill so any imperfections would have been hidden. I was a little worried about all the tweeking I would have to do to get the function working properly, but I got this right out of the box!
Whats everyone else's experience with dual material?

Re: my first dual color print

Posted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:59 pm
by sludgeogre
Looks fantastic. My M3ID arrives on Friday and I have a bunch of Warmachine dual color tokens I'm very excited to make. I'll post them here once I finally get my machine up and running. :D

Re: my first dual color print

Posted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:59 pm
by sludgeogre

Made a bunch of tokens! Took a while to figure out my process and it takes a lot longer than expected to push these out from a design standpoint (a lot harder than inkscape!!!) but the product you get is gorgeous and I love it!

Re: my first dual color print

Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:33 pm
by benadamspears
Umburry how are you designing the dual color to print together? I have been trying to find a guide on how to do this.

Re: my first dual color print

Posted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:16 pm
by Phil
I did it by making two parts, both with a surface that will lay flat on the bed and with one part ending where the other part begins. It usually means that the part that gets printed on top of the other will include a separate piece that is only for alignment.
Then, often, it is a big PITA to align the models in S3D.

Re: my first dual color print

Posted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:04 pm
by Dan S
Just finished up my first dual color print, 1 out of 8 panels for a custom mailbox to match our house... Could not find a single source for how to use the dual extruders, so after playing around for awhile, this is the method I came up with:

- I sketched the part in Fusion 360. When extruding, I created one body for the siding and a second body for the window. Saved each body as a separate .stl file for import into Simplify3D.
- Imported both files, used the alignment tool to bring them together. Simplify3D auto positioned them too far back on the "Y" offset to allow for the prime pillar, only way I could reposition them and keep the alignment was to group them.
- Downloaded current Simplify3D profiles from the Makergear zen page - installed "M3-ID Rev 1 PLA 1.5" and created 2 new processes; "Dual Left" and "Dual Right" and assigned "Dual Mode - Left Extruder" and "Dual Mode - Right Extruder" respectively. Also had to select a model for each process. In my case, the window.stl (white) was in T0 and the wall/siding.stl (gray) was in T1.

As a side note, to get the siding smoothed out, I had to use the Variable Settings Wizard to print the base of the wall at .200mm and the siding at .075mm

Will try to post a picture...

Also printed off the front 'garage door' which will be hinged to receive mail.