print speed

The place to discuss the M3-ID
alsted

print speed

Post by alsted » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:22 am

HI

Im printing some walls from printablescenary. I am getting some rather long print times that i would like to to see if i can reduce.

Im using simplify3d and have infill set to 10%, fast honeycomb. I have upped the speed to 100mm/s in simplify3d as well.

Simplify3d reported 3hours and 29 minutes, actual print time is 6 hours.

Granted i run all this in duplication setup, but i still find the gap rather large.

Any idea on what i can try to get the actual print time closer to simplify3d?

Best
Jens
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-01-03 at 07.55.16.png

airscapes

Re: print speed

Post by airscapes » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:55 pm

Nothing... you will lean that 5 hours is 7.. they updated S3D to 4.1.1 and print time was supposed to be more accurate but they introduced a million major bugs making the software seem rather useless when reading their forum so I did not update. If you are using 4.1.1 than you have the most accurate. You did not tell us how many top bottom and shell layers.. for what you are doing I would think 2 shells would be good but with low infill you may need 3 top layers. I would also use rectilinear rather than honeycomb as I believe it is a bit faster and does not show through as noticeable when using low infill rates, could be wrong but that is what I have found the few times tired it.. Try them both and look at the estimates and the previews. Big stuff takes a long time to pint.. Another way to reduce time is to increase layer height and width.. I have been using a .5 nozzle with a .6 extrude and a .3 layer height with for all my larger prints and it is much better. Note I do not have a M3.. just a lowly M2 :D Good luck!

alsted

Post by alsted » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:39 pm

Hi
Thanks for the reply.

Yes i'm on 4.1.1, dont follow their forums, i'll give et a look.

I think that 56% time increate is alot. I have worked with CNC mills and expect the calculated time to be a bit off from the actual machine time, but not by that much.

Top, bottom and shell layers are all set to 3, which i think is default. Changing shell layers changes the print time significantly.

Im considering if there some firmware limitations that makes things take longer than expected, but i cat find any thing on it. I'm going to give the build in Cura slicer a go to see if it yields other results.

Thanks.

mathisyourfriend

Post by mathisyourfriend » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:55 pm

This has been discussed before. Here's one link:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4555&hilit=print+time+estimate

Zemlin also answered this for me somewhere in here but I couldn't find it. I agree with Jules. It seems like a geometric progression in the time error as size increases.

alsted

Post by alsted » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:55 am

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I accept there is a geometric blow up in time usage.

Best
Jens

Roland

Post by Roland » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:08 pm

I have started using the M3-ID profile that comes with S3D as my base. Not only have I seen better print results then I was getting with the profiles from Makergear git repository, but the print times I am seeing match S3D estimates pretty closely.