Octoprint module SD card access?

The place to discuss the M3-ID
paynterf

Octoprint module SD card access?

Post by paynterf » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:20 am

I'm a new M3-ID user, and new to the Octoprint world too. There was a mention in this forum about the advisability of having a backup copy of the Octoprint SD card in case the original gets scrambled with too many power cycles without properly shutting down the Octoprint.

So, I want to do that, but don't have any idea where the SD card is or how to access it. Any YT videos or how-to's on this?

TIA,

Frank

sthone

Re: Octoprint module SD card access?

Post by sthone » Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:57 pm

The SD card is in the Raspberry Pi. (I assume they are using Pi's) The Pi is housed in the smaller box on the base of the printer. (the one on the left) You would need to remove the SD card from the PI and then follow this tutorial to copy it.

https://www.howtogeek.com/341944/how-to ... of-backup/

paynterf

Post by paynterf » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:09 pm

Sounds like a typical auto repair manual entry from the 60's for how to replace the oil filter: "Step 1: Remove Engine" ;-).

gbroters

Post by gbroters » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:15 pm

You could also backup the current state of OctoPrint from within the OctoPrint Settings.
While this may not be as full-proof as copying the entire image file, it's a great option if you'd like to easily revert back to a known state after making changes to the OctoPrint server.

It can be found by navigating to the OctoPrint settings menu >> Backup & Restore >> "Create backup now".

AldenJ

Post by AldenJ » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:55 pm

to get the sd card out you will need to remove the pi from the printer chaise. Flip you printer on it's side being careful not to break anything, then there is 4 long (hopefully silver colored) screws on the bottom you need to remove with a Philips driver. Once you have taken the top cover to the pi you can remove the pi from the case making sure to keep the cable connected to the main board intact (there might be more screws holding it into the case) you can look on the underside of the pi and you will see an sd card holder and an sd card inside, press on the card to release it and now you can back it up. to put it back together do these steps in reverse ;)

caseymessick

Post by caseymessick » Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:14 pm

Did you ever figure out how to get at the SD card in the Raspberry PI? I'm worried about just prying the small box open. Don't want to bust the plastic.

paynterf

Post by paynterf » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:00 pm

caseymessick wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:14 pm
Did you ever figure out how to get at the SD card in the Raspberry PI? I'm worried about just prying the small box open. Don't want to bust the plastic.
AFAICT, the only real way is to turn the printer on its side and remove the four Rasberry Pi chassis mounting screws. Then the Pi box lid comes right off and the SD card can be (relatively) easily accessed. The little plastic slide window is useless, as there is no way to actually get the SD card out through the little window available through that slot.

paynterf

Post by paynterf » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:06 pm

gbroters wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:15 pm
You could also backup the current state of OctoPrint from within the OctoPrint Settings.
While this may not be as full-proof as copying the entire image file, it's a great option if you'd like to easily revert back to a known state after making changes to the OctoPrint server.

It can be found by navigating to the OctoPrint settings menu >> Backup & Restore >> "Create backup now".
Hmm, I cant find that option in my Octoprint settings menu. Can I buy another clue? ;-)
Annotation 2020-07-06 140334.jpg

gbroters

Post by gbroters » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:00 pm

paynterf wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:06 pm

Hmm, I can't find that option in my Octoprint settings menu. Can I buy another clue? ;-)
No need for any quid pro quo!
There are two ways you can safely do this:

The first method is much faster, but it requires you to backup the entire 16gb SD card. This can be done by using a program like or similar to "Win32DiskImager". Here is a great guide on how to backup your SD card.
Foosel (The creator of OctoPrint), has written up an excellent guide on how to manually backup your OctoPrint settings: Unfortunately, I had mistakenly logged into an Ultra One printer that was running a later version of OctoPrint (Which has the Backup & Restore plugin built into it...). We here at MakerGear are actively working on updating the OctoPrint version for our M3 printers and we can't wait for you to try it out!

paynterf

Post by paynterf » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:50 pm

I'
We here at MakerGear are actively working on updating the OctoPrint version for our M3 printers and we can't wait for you to try it out!
If the update is going to happen in some realistic time frame (not 'RSN'), I'll be happy to wait and try it out.

Frank