General discussion topics
j-rod

Re: Hello

Post by j-rod » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:08 pm

Thanks for getting this setup Rick!

Toby

Post by Toby » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:04 pm

I'd like to ask again to be able to upload different file extensions like .fff, .stl and .factory files. The workaround of putting them in a zip file or posting a link to some other file storage site is too cumbersome. In a pinch we can do it, but I think it inhibits people from doing it as a matter of course. At least it does me.

I did a bit of poking around in the phpbb community and it seems there is a place to manage such things. Here's what I found that seems to tell you what to do. Since I've never been a phpbb admin, I don't know what all the terms mean, but hopefully this will be clear enough:

Under the Posting tab in the ACP are 2 options regarding attachment extensions. The first one is "Manage extensions". There you can have a look to which group your attachment belongs, in this case that's the Documents group.

Then go to "Manage extension groups", and click the green wheel in the Documents row. There click the Allowed box, to allow it to be used in the forums.

MichaelH

Post by MichaelH » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:47 am

Toby,

I check it out and your right, all Rick has to do is follow your instructions.

I shoot you a PM for phpBB to play with.
If you interested.

Toby

Post by Toby » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:40 am

Thanks, Michael. I found it on your test board also and verified it accepts .fff, .factory, etc.

Rick, in case you're listening, here's detailed instructions:

Login to the Admin Control Panel.
Click the Posting tab (3rd from the left)
Click "Manage Extensions" on the left of the screen.
Under add extensions, put in an extension (e.g fff), then specify the group to be "Downloadable Files."
Click submit and then click on "Manage Extension Groups" on the left of the screen.
Make sure "Downloadable" files is allowed in all forums. If not click the green gear and allow it.

sprior

Post by sprior » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:25 am

Rick,

Announcing the existence of this forum would be a good excuse for a blog entry to replace the one talking about how cold and snowy it is.

Announcing the V4 extruder would be an even better excuse :D

Tim

Forum search settings

Post by Tim » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:21 pm

There seems to be something wrong with the "Search..." setup. I typed in a normal-seeming set of search words ("24V fan") and got back a message about "too common words" and no results. "Too common words" should be reserved for things like "the" and "and", etc., that occur thousands of times and have no topical relevance. I don't know how the system defines this, but it seems like it is set to ignore all words that exceed some fixed count, and that count is set way low by default. So you can't do any searches on such important and useful words as "bed", "level", "fan", "extruder", "hot", "hot end", "v3", . . . well, I think that's enough to make the point. Just a little experimenting suggests that the count limit is set somewhere around 25.