Heatbreak Barrel Material

General discussion topics
ChrisERAU

Heatbreak Barrel Material

Post by ChrisERAU » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:08 pm

Makergear printers have been well known for their all-metal hotends (at least I thought they were). So, imagine my surprise when I saw the description for the replacement heatbreak barrels on the Makergear store site: https://www.makergear.com/collections/p ... /v4-barrel

"V4 Barrel with high temperature PTFE insert and hollow set screw.

Barrels should always be paired with a new nozzle. Nozzles can be switched out on the same barrel, but not onto different barrels."

Is it true that the barrels are now PTFE-lined? If so, what's the maximum print temperature?

I ask especially because my barrel seems to really like getting gummed up and jammed while printing PLA and PETG, so either a replacement or deep clean is in order.

airscapes

Re: Heatbreak Barrel Material

Post by airscapes » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:43 pm

I don't recall ever seeing that part on the site and, I believe they were always made with a tube and max temp is 300C. I have never had an issue with gummed up barrel. I try not use PLA because it does seem to require much more frequent flushing of the hot end with cleaning filament to keep the nozzle from cogging. PETG and ABS never a clog to be had.
I could be wrong about the barrel but I an fairly sure it always had a linner.

sthone

Post by sthone » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:11 am

Once upon a time they did have both a PTFE and an all metal version V4. When the Duel Kits came out I think they came with one each. The best thing to do would just be to drop MG a email or phone call to see if they still have them available if you want one.

-Steve

ChrisERAU

Post by ChrisERAU » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:52 pm

Thanks, good to know. I'm not sure where I saw/read/heard that all V4 hotends were all metal. I probably just assumed it because it can get up to 300C, whereas every other PTFE-lined hotend I've come across typically maxes out at 250C before the PTFE degrades. I had the hotend PTFE melt on my other printer, an Artillery SW X1, while printing PETG at 250C. I suppose MG's PTFE has additives and whatnot to be able to hit 300C?

airscapes

Post by airscapes » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:25 pm

ChrisERAU wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:52 pm
Thanks, good to know. I'm not sure where I saw/read/heard that all V4 hotends were all metal. I probably just assumed it because it can get up to 300C, whereas every other PTFE-lined hotend I've come across typically maxes out at 250C before the PTFE degrades. I had the hotend PTFE melt on my other printer, an Artillery SW X1, while printing PETG at 250C. I suppose MG's PTFE has additives and whatnot to be able to hit 300C?
This is just my opinion but you sometimes get what you pay for? The other thing about MG hot end is that it is proprietary (which is good and bad) so it is made to their specs? verses the off the shelf from a china factory run of the mill hot end being bought by DIYers and other china makers