Need some advice on how to respond

General discussion topics
Jules

Re: Need some advice on how to respond

Post by Jules » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:43 am

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll take a look at both Rhino and Solidworks. (I did check the price on Solidworks earlier and you ain't kidding about it being pricey!) I need to find a student somewhere. :)

Pity I can't use Illustrator or Photoshop for this - the best I could come up with was exporting designs from Illustrator as an SVG, and then importing that SVG into AutoDesk123D for extrusion. (Which required some weird scaling after import.)

Anyway, I'll take a closer look at those programs.....in for a penny, in for a pound.

Jules

sthone

Post by sthone » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:33 pm

I thought the same thing, I wanted to learn what I could about S3D before my printer showed up. I downloaded the software and played with it for about 5 minutes and that was it there wasn't much I could learn (I thought) without the printer. The printer showed up a week later, I got it assembled, started printing with it right away with the software with no problems, and well it's been five months and I still haven't really had to play with the software because the M2 prints perfect for me with mostly the stock settings. (you've made a great decision going with the M2) Someone just posted a link to a guy on the Simplify forums who is doing daily tips though and I think I've learn more in the last few days than the last five months. The best resource by far for S3D when starting out is this link http://jinschoi.github.io/simplify3d-docs/ That will get you started off right.

As for the review Rick remember remember what they say “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.

You KNOW you have one of the best home printers out there don't let one person get you so flustered. You can tell from there first message that you are not going to be able to help them no matter what you try. It's best to just offer them a full refund and be done with them.

-Steve

Spotopolis

Post by Spotopolis » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:16 am

I also agree with learning the 3D program while you wait. When ordered my machine in April 2013, the waiting period was 8 weeks so I had time to experiment.

Like some of you, I come from a 2D world as a graphic/multimedia designer in web and print using Photoshop, Illustrator and various video programs, so I did find a way to use Illustrator along with Sketchup to start with. It got me by and I did some pretty involved things with it, but struggling with flipped triangles and non-manifold issues prompted me to look for solid-modeling alternatives. I still use this approach for simpler models when I don't feel like dealing with Fusion 360 and just need it done fast. I'd be happy to explain how to do use Illustrator to export DXFs which are then extruded in Sketchup, but it is really not a good long-term solution.

I am coming along on learning Fusion 360, but am frustrated at the lack of training resources. I can't find any books, and only limited video tutorials. The problem for me is that the tutorials that exist assume you are already familiar with all the terms and workflow of a 3D environment, and the interface is not very intuitive for me.

Now I'm at a crossroads as to whether to continue digging into Fusion 360, or spend my time learning something like Rhino which has a ton of support materials. Any thoughts? Jimc, I thought I read you had used Fusion 360 on your Mac (I'm also Mac-based), and if so, I'd love to hear why you switched to Rhino.

Also, I realize this thread is veering off-topic, so if a mod wants to move it or if I should start a new thread I'm ok with that.

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:28 am

no i never used fusion360. i tried sketchup, 123d, tinkercad then rhino. i think jin was using fusion for awhile. i might be thinking of someone else though. sending you a pm

jsc

Post by jsc » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:16 am

I've switched to Fusion 360 full time now. It's easy to bang out simple things, and powerful enough to handle more complex things.

I agree that the training materials are a bit slim.

Start a new thread with any of your Fusion 360 questions and I will do my best to answer them. If you have a particular project in mind or something you're trying to model that you can't figure out how to do, mention that as well.

sprior

Post by sprior » Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:14 am

I'm about 6 months into Fusion 360, still feel like a beginner, but all my designs have used it so far.

Matt_Sharkey

Post by Matt_Sharkey » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:31 pm

Interesting to read through this thread.

Back on topic: If you ever get a bad rating again, just remember it could be a good thing...
http://xkcd.com/1098/