How many 3d printers do you have?

General discussion topics
willnewton

How many 3d printers do you have?

Post by willnewton » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:26 pm

So, I was just wondering....I have had my M2 a few months and am pretty much in love with it (I am watching it print a quadcopter frame as we speak). I was wondering if some of you had multiple printers, if you have, how many?

You could have them currently running or maybe just say how many you have owned as you upgraded your collection. I am just wondering, maybe a little bit about your journey to using a 3d printer as well.

I have just had the M2 and it has gotten me hooked on 3d design and printing. I have an Art degree, ten years as a highend custom furniture builder/designer/repair and seven years as a jewelry designer/craftsman/repairs. I had training on computers in school and I got started professionally on CAD for 2d furniture designs because I could use an old plotter to print full size prints of furniture and then 3d design because I could let the computer figure out complex compound angles. In the meantime, I was designing/building high end competition sailplane parts and scratch-built my own 4-axis hot wire foam cutter.

Many years later, my wife and I opened our own store and I began using 3d CAD (Matrix/Rhino3d) to do designs for customers and then finally one of the other jewelry stores was kind enough to actually print one of my designs on their $70k Envisiontech and later he even let me borrow his old 4-axis CNC mill to try out milling my own waxes.

Then I got the M2.

I gave him back his CNC mill. I saw where the future was and have been using the M2 to test the feasability of purchasing a much higher end 3d printer for jewelry models for casting. I still want a 2nd M2 just to have running in my storefront, it is almost hypnotic to watch.

So, there you have it!
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

Dale Reed

Re: How many 3d printers do you have?

Post by Dale Reed » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:20 pm

I'll start the long list of those who only have the M2. Got it for hobby use, mostly to develop custom enclosures for pocket-sized electronics projects. Had it for 15 months and done so many other things with it (puzzles, gifts, etc.) that I haven't done the electronics projects yet!

Dale

ebmonon36

Post by ebmonon36 » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:26 pm

I only have an M2. It has done everything I have needed it to do and haven't seen a reason to purchase another printer. Once my CNC Mill is up and running, I would like to make a delta style printer, mostly for the novelty factor.

Eric

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:47 pm

the m2 is my only one....so far. there are others i have been watching and keeping an eye on but the leap in tech has not gotten quite where i want it for me to make a jump onto another printer. i really want a core xy, fully enclosed, arm based controller with a rock solid z stage. things are currently heading that way but not quite fully there yet. i have also not fully decided if the next step is an sla or not. i really like resin printers but the build size currently is just too small. i am waiting for them to start being produced with 4k projectors. lots of cool things on the horizon. also not sure if makergear has anything new up their sleeve printer wise. the next 6-8 mos should be interesting to see what pops up on the market.

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:01 pm

willnewton wrote:had multiple printers
I started with a Makerbot Thing-O-Matic back in very late 2010 that's now on loan to the local hackerspace.

The M2 was a tremendous improvement and is entirely sufficient for my simple needs.

Shapeways reduces the need to own exotic 3D printing hardware: prototype it on the M2, then send it off to get, say, a stainless steel version:
http://softsolder.com/2014/01/06/browni ... l-version/

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:25 pm

man that shapeways does some nice stuff. thats cool ed.

Capt. John

Post by Capt. John » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:48 am

Ed, I have a 9mm hi power.

Is that part ez to remove after it's installed in the clip?

Will it work printed in ABS?
Capt. John
Manistee, Michigan
Reel Amateur at 3D printing
Fishing Tackle Manufacturer & Webmaster for:
http://www.michiganangler.com
http://www.michigansportsman.com

ednisley

Post by ednisley » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:22 pm

Capt. John wrote:Is that part ez to remove
By intent, it's nearly impossible to get back out without destroying the spring and floor plate:
http://softsolder.com/2013/11/20/ny-saf ... y-overvew/

The screw securing the block passes through a nut brazed to the floor plate, with steel-loaded epoxy filling the interior and locking the screw. It is, I believe, not readily removed and the magazine cannot be readily converted back to its original capacity.

I used PLA for the plastic versions, but ABS should be just as suitable. Or unsuitable, depending on who defines the terms, makes the decisions, and enforces the law. Whether the stainless steel version improves the situation is not at all obvious, either.

The firearms tag picks out related posts that may explain the design:
http://softsolder.com/tag/firearms/

MarkG

Post by MarkG » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm

Just the M2.

As all of us.... I did a lot of research before purchase and still do not see any other machines currently on the market which would change my mind.

Mark

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:47 pm

MarkG wrote:Just the M2.

As all of us.... I did a lot of research before purchase and still do not see any other machines currently on the market which would change my mind.

Mark
I have looked at so many prints from different machines and agree. Any other filament printer would be a step backward.

I am thinking of upgrading or adding a second printer, but am only considering a complete shift to a different technology (resin printers), not a different FFF printer.

Come on Makergear, get your DLP on, so I don't have to leave the family! :)
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites