High spot on the glass...

General discussion topics
jdacal

Re: High spot on the glass...

Post by jdacal » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:30 am

jimc wrote:Glass in general is not perfectly flat. .005" is pretty small and not uncommon. I have one piece of glass the same as you have pictured and one that is pretty close to being flat. I think its just by chance you happen to get one thats perfect. A .005" variance as a beginner can be annoying but you can work around it with s3d by printing a thicker first layer.
Ok, I think I get what you are saying jimc. By printing a thicker fist layer gravity would tend to fill in the uneven spots? Am I visualizing that correctly? I currently have first layer height at 100%, for a .005" variance does that sound ok?

Edit: Primary Layer Height 0.008" / 0.2000mm

Edit: Is it preferable to have the low spot in the center of the glass?

Thanks
jdacal

live print feed: http://enctrading.com/printcam/
See me Crash and Burn in Real time!

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:09 pm

Well 100% would be a normal first layer. That might be ok and it might need more. I dont know. You have to print on it. You dont want the nozzle to get too tight to the glass. That cN cause extrusion issues. I think you can go all the way to 199%. If its not working at 100 then goto 150 and see what happens. Also try flipping the glass over, put the clips on and take some measurements again.

jereywolf

Post by jereywolf » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:48 pm

jdacal wrote:I'm seeing similar with my glass. Heat at 70C, at the center of the glass I have it gapped at .005" but near the left and right edge from there the gap is at .007" at the edges. Is that, as they say, close enough for government work? Not sure what else I could do since both edges are at .007" so no sense in tilting the bed. Would a .002" difference between center and edges be acceptable to most of you?

EDIT: Took a couple of more measurements, on the "Y" axis the difference is much bigger as shown in the picture. Again, not sure if that variance is considered acceptable? Measurements are approximate based on feeler gage just barely touching extruder tip. I ordered a spare glass with the printer and switched to the spare after the first day since I noticed the center was higher, but the spare is the same way. I'm assuming its normal but that .010" seems kind of a big difference from .005". Maybe not though, I don't have enough experience with these printers to know what is acceptable.

Thanks

That's exactly how my glass is. And It doesn't cause me any problems unless I'm running a lot of small pieces and they are positioned near the edge. With my high spot in the center (because my glass is flipped over) a piece with a small base can have trouble getting adhering to the bed at the edge where it is .005" lower. But if I am printing a larger object that has a wider base, which partially runs into my low spots, it is no problem.

If you set your Z-stop with your nozzle in the center, just make sure that it does not run into the glass when you get to the high spots at the edges. That will stop the filament from extruding and cause a jam.