Need help getting started with NinjaFlex (jams)

General discussion topics
sprior

Need help getting started with NinjaFlex (jams)

Post by sprior » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:38 pm

Early this week I got my first spool of NinjaFlex for my M2, but I haven't gotten far. I'm using the stock extruder drive with an upgraded bowden tube and twice when I tried to feed the NinjaFlex into the extruder it seemed to grab fine by the drive, but then before anything came out the nozzle it would lock up with a clicking noise. Both times I had to remove the extruder drive to clear the jam. Since then I have successfully printed other materials so the jam has been cleared. I was surprised to see a small amount of NinjaFlex come out the nozzle when I was feeding some ABS, so at least a little NinjaFlex actually made it to the hot end even if it never extruded by itself.

Does anyone have any tips for getting past this? Once I at least get the stuff to manually extrude I've got some Simplify3D settings to go from there.

markb

Re: Need help getting started with NinjaFlex (jams)

Post by markb » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:42 pm

I hope the M2 can print this it looks like very promising filament.
I have been waiting to try it until after I get the new dual extruder all metal hot end.

Dave K

Post by Dave K » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:44 am

I haven't done a lot with Ninjaflex, but I did find that I couldn't run it through the clear plastic guide tube without problems. There was too much friction. So I rigged up a makeshift support using a cardboard tube, much less friction, and ran it right to the extruder, not through the guide tube. Extrusion was fine after that. So, if you're running it through the guide tube, you may be having the same problem I did.

Capt. John

Post by Capt. John » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:36 pm

Same issue with Taulman's Bridge, purchased this on eBay and it's easier to feed all filament thru:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2meters-PTFE-Te ... 4d16e7c81f
Capt. John
Manistee, Michigan
Reel Amateur at 3D printing
Fishing Tackle Manufacturer & Webmaster for:
http://www.michiganangler.com
http://www.michigansportsman.com

sprior

Post by sprior » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:38 pm

My problem isn't the tube (I've already got that one), the filament is getting stuck around the drive gear of the extruder stepper motor. I'm using the stock extruder drive body from Makergear.

Dale Reed

Post by Dale Reed » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:22 pm

sprior,

A couple things come to mind....

1. Try backing way off on the screw that holds the idler wheel against the gear, at least while you're initially threading the filament. It might be pushing the filament too hard "into" the teeth of the drive gear to the point that it doesn't come back out of the teeth at the bottom to feed into the hot end. I think some people have even tried pulling the filament drive off and threading the filament down into the barrel of the hot end, then re-mounting the filament drive, holding the filament off to the right while doing so to clear the drive gear.

2. I'll let jimc correct me here, because he would know for sure. But someone has a modified filament drive design (up on Thingiverse) that is modified slightly so that there is a bit of a taper/funnel to catch the filament and direct it into the hot end below the drive gear. Not sure if it's RSlivers drive or one that jimc tweaked the design of. All I'm sure of is that one of the designs has this "funnel" (as well as a better tube rest for the PTFE tubing that comes from the filament unwind).

Hope you get it going! I haven't tried NinjaFlex yet, but it sounds like it makes some cool stuff!
Dale

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:21 am

i ran the bridge in my machine and didnt get real far with it. i only had like 5 min to mess with it and havent had a chance to play with it again. what i ran into is the stuff is sort of rubbery or something and the drive gear teeth wouldnt push into the bridge filament so the gear would just slip. no matter how tight i made the drive the teeth wouldnt make teeth marks in the filament. it would however crush the filament flat and wouldnt go through the lower hole. i think i need to take a file and sharpen the drive gear teeth so it will cut in to the filament or something. in any case it was all very strange. i need to give it more than a 5 min shot though to see whats up with it.

sprior

Post by sprior » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:34 am

Jimc, are you talking about Taulman Bridge or Ninjaflex? Everything you wrote made sense for Bridge (and I did have a thread about that), but the question of the moment is about NinjaFlex.

jimc

Post by jimc » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:32 am

sorry i was talking about bridge