Slic3r Support

General discussion topics
Asadinator

Slic3r Support

Post by Asadinator » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:25 am

Hi,

I am having trouble with removing the support material with using slic3r, they get stuck pretty good.

Anyone have recommendations? I read that simply3D is good but I want to see if its possible to get it working with slic3r or any other free tools first.

jsc

Re: Slic3r Support

Post by jsc » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:25 am

Slic3r support is really pretty unusable, I've found. Almost impossible to remove sometimes. Simplify3D's support is much more easily removable, because it introduces a gap between the support and the model material to weaken the connection. If you do not wish to purchase it, you may wish to experiment with other slicers to see how well their support comes off, such as Kiss Slicer or Cura.

I do not see anything in the Slic3r support settings to indicate that it has gotten any better than the last time I tried it. It does have a new "pillars" pattern and generates interface layers, which will give you a smoother surface than Simplify3D, though.

If you are making your own models, you can place supports manually in your models. Meshmixer will also generate supports for STLs, and I've read that it does a decent job.

Asadinator

Post by Asadinator » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:45 am

Thanks. Yes I was also looking for the gap option but some setting dont seem to change anything.

But just now I tried increasing the extrusion width of the support material and it looks to give more gap, will try it out.

Asadinator

Post by Asadinator » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:24 am

Increasing extrusion width didn't help, its just too strong.

I tried Meshmixer and its great! Exactly what I was looking for with overhangs. :D