Software to include with the M2?

General discussion topics
jimc

Re: Software to include with the M2?

Post by jimc » Tue May 06, 2014 1:12 am

also a txt file copy of the slic3r manual from their website. it does a good job of explaining each function

Tim

Post by Tim » Tue May 06, 2014 1:23 am

I second the idea of including a full S3D license and a $140 opt-out. Certainly there are plenty of us who bought M2s in the pre-S3D days and managed to scrap together the open-source software ourselves. But I went without the trial S3D version and coughed up the $140 anyway just based on the great reviews everybody on the Google group was giving it---I started feeling left behind! And it was worth every penny.

Would it help if we all emailed the S3D guys and begged them to bring back the trial version?

willnewton

Post by willnewton » Tue May 06, 2014 2:36 am

Part of the reason I had early success and immediate printing was the S3D software. I appreciate the open source efforts, but I needed and wanted instantly working software just to make sure that the hardware worked. I bought S3D immediately, before the machine arrived.

Rick, I would hope that the the S3D team would recognize the symbiotic relationship and that you could give them a sale with every machine you sold for a specified length of time (say the next 18 months of sales) and offer you a discount for your volume purchasing in exchange for increasing their user base, even allowing you to make a small profit as well by re-selling a full-price retail license with the M2 on the Makergear website. It's a win-win and the Makergear team would only need to provide support for one software platform.

If not, then they are being a bit foolish to not join in as an OEM supplier.

I really like S3D. It works on a Mac, it works on a PC, it is not too hard to set up. So was the M2. You both make a great product at which I honestly feel that I am getting my money's worth and a little bit more. The M2 has a more than fair price for what you get and so does S3d.

If worst comes to worst, you'd have to bump the price of an M2 a bit. It wouldn't stop me from buying another one or recommending it. The kind of person looking to get the cheapest machine can go buy a Printrbot kit, the most expensive can go buy a Makerbot, but if you want the best, the M2-S3D combo packs a helluva punch for the money.

My wife and I run our own business and constantly fight the urge to sell ourselves short because we fear that someone may not want our product because it is too expensive. Our customers are smarter than us and realize we provide amazing service and a fantastic product. Every time, we find out that the price is only an object in our own minds, not our customers.
I'm finally back to where I started two days ago!

A thread with some stuff in it I update every once in a while. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=9
See some of my stuff http://www.thingiverse.com/willnewton/favorites

Toby

Post by Toby » Tue May 06, 2014 6:05 am

Agree you should try to keep the S3D connection. I wouldn't have bought an M2 if it hadn't been a part of the deal. Knowing what I know now, I can understand, "Oh I just need to buy S3D separately and then I'm good to go." But at the time I didn't have enough knowledge. It was the Amazon reviews talking about S3D, then checking their web site, that clinched the deal for me. All the pieces fit together.

thecadman99

Post by thecadman99 » Tue May 06, 2014 12:28 pm

I found repetier host to be confusing- I may be in the minority, but the RH settings vs the Slic3r settings all in one program was overwhelming for me when I first started and I had problems understanding the workflow.

Kissslicer produced nice prints, but agian, I believe it might be confusing for a novice unless a very thorough step-by-step video or manual is included.

I think Cura was the easiest (other than S3d) for me when I was starting.

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Tue May 06, 2014 2:05 pm

To clarify, this is unrelated to S3D. We will continue to offer S3D and will probably put together a package including S3D. I am looking for software to include when people elect not to purchase S3D or don't want it from the get-go. But without causing a spike in support requests...

Tim

Post by Tim » Tue May 06, 2014 2:52 pm

Hello Rick,

I don't really see what's wrong with the idea that official (paid) software = official support, and unofficial (free) software = unofficial support. I think we run a very nice support group here on the forum. You're a very small company, hardware is your area of expertise, and anybody who expects you to be supporting software that you didn't even write has unrealistic expectations.

Make recommendations according to the strongest base of support---I'd say the majority of people who don't use S3D are using slic3r and pronterface, and then point everybody to the "software support" section of the forum.

jimc

Post by jimc » Tue May 06, 2014 3:58 pm

Totally agree tim. Only problem is when people dont have their settings right and the printer doesnt print correctly then people think there is something wrong with the printer so off goes an email to mg support which rick now has to trouble shoot to see where the problem is.

rpollack

Post by rpollack » Tue May 06, 2014 11:09 pm

Please post the configuration files that you are using for the tools that you recommend.

mathisyourfriend

Post by mathisyourfriend » Tue May 06, 2014 11:19 pm

I also agree with jimc and Tim. I used repg in the past and for me the $125 for Creator was worth the $ saved on advil. Those who want to can use the open source programs (I've heard good things about Cura, all from Ultimaker owners though). As long as you're clear about this your customers should be fine.