Software to include with the M2?

General discussion topics
Tim

Re: Software to include with the M2?

Post by Tim » Thu May 08, 2014 2:27 am

I use Ketil's configuration file for slic3r, but I know that he has improved a few things here and there that I have not. If he doesn't post by tomorrow, I'll upload what I have. A word of caution, though---since you introduced the newer version of the M2 and bundled S3D at about the same time, that means that most slic3r users are going to have setups for the older model M2, and that may have to be adjusted. I don't set temperatures inside slic3r, though, preferring to turn the heaters on and off through pronterface, so I can't think of anything in my setup that is specific to the older model M2. But that manual step might not appeal to everyone, either.

Aeviaanah

Post by Aeviaanah » Fri May 09, 2014 4:11 am

I prefer slic3r and repertier host

Tim

Post by Tim » Sun May 11, 2014 3:08 am

I said I would post my slic3r settings if nobody else did, so here is what I use for the default configuration for PLA. Again, as I said before, I don't set temperatures on the bed and extruder in the gcode, but do it manually from pronterface (or I should say, "did", not "do", since now I just use S3D and am much happier because of it).

Note that my initialization file is for version 0.9.8 but I have used it for version 1.0.0 and it works just as well.

Also note that this file should be called "M2General098_v3.ini" as slic3r likes to see it, but this forum does not let me attach a file with extension ".ini", so I changed it to ".txt".

jimc

Post by jimc » Sun May 11, 2014 3:43 am

i think you forgot to attach it tim

Toby

Post by Toby » Sun May 11, 2014 4:41 am

Tim wrote: Also note that this file should be called "M2General098_v3.ini" as slic3r likes to see it, but this forum does not let me attach a file with extension ".ini", so I changed it to ".txt".
Unfortunately it won't let you upload a .txt file either... you gotta zip it up I'm afraid.

But... Rick... I gotta ask-- wouldn't it be great if Tim could just upload that .ini file directly???? I recall a post on how the admin can do that reeeaaallllly easily. Here it is

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1&p=466#p466

Ok, I'm not trying to be too cute... but I still think it would be nice if we could upload all our favorite files, like .stl, .fff,.factory, .obj.. It's easy to arrange- we even tested it on a user's phpBB.

Tim

Post by Tim » Sun May 11, 2014 5:23 pm

Okay, sorry about that. I noticed that the first one didn't upload, but somehow got convinced that the second one did. Third time's the charm?
Attachments
M2General098_v3.zip
M2General098_v3.ini (zipped)
(1.45 KiB) Downloaded 428 times

Tshulthise

Post by Tshulthise » Sun May 11, 2014 10:37 pm

The biggest problem I had when I first started with the Lulzbot TAZ was figuring out how to install Pronterface and Sli3er and getting the initial settings in Sli3er correct.

IMO, they could have saved everyone a LOT of headaches by just doing the following:
1. Include a DVD that walks you through the install process including the exact files that need to be installed, where and how.
2. Several sample Sli3er profiles for various materials and print types (with supports, fast, smooth, etc...)

It would take a lot less time to automate the install and provide concise directions and profiles than it would to field a million tech support calls.

Also, providing a couple or three rolls of filament with the printer to lessen the temptation to use cheap suppliers would probably lessen tech support calls. I've found that good filament makes nearly as much difference in how easy and fun a print is as settings. I came to hate my TAZ printer only to find out that one roll of filament was the biggest part of my print fail problems. When that roll ran out and I started another one I was amazed to see printing life got a lot better. Both rolls came from Lulzbot.

When I made the first print with my M2 I thought I'd reached Nirvana. Turns out the TAZ does pretty well when I use good filament. The M2 is better overall but the moral of this story is do as much to make those first prints easy and very successful and the tech calls will go way down and the customer satisfaction will go way up.

I would...
Categorize tech calls
Figure out which problems can be solved with less cost than providing tech support
Implement those solutions

If providing a setup DVD with help videos is cheaper to make than the cost of the tech support it would save over time then it should be a priority.

Maybe there's a reason no one does what I just mentioned but it seems like it would be money in the bank over the long run.

grish

Post by grish » Tue May 13, 2014 8:26 am

Microsoft is working hard on their win8 app (slicer and UI), improving it rapidly. I know some of the guys there - very nice gang. It might be a good option for many users (albeit Windows only). If you want to, I can put you in contact with them. Compatibility with their stack is quite trivial.

sprior

Post by sprior » Wed May 14, 2014 11:11 pm

While I think having a native Windows 8.1 driver for the M2 would be great, I think it would be done at the RAMBo community level since it's really specific to the RAMBo firmware and not very specific to the printer hardware attached to it.

jimc

Post by jimc » Thu May 15, 2014 4:58 am

rick, here is another option. saw this a long time ago and forgot about it. apparently it was just recently updated and includes a slicer built in. its free but i have not tried it.

http://www.mattercontrol.com/#jumpMatte ... lDownloads